Tokai Distortion pedal

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone got or tried a Tokai Distortion pedal? How does it compare to other distortion pedals, such as Boss?

Thanks

Mike

I have one! :D
I'll sell it if you want.
Can't really compare it to anything since I very seldom use distortion stomp boxes. Not bad though I guess.

/Magnus

Most of the Tokai pedals appear to be clones of popular Boss designs of the time (for example, the TFL is a clone of the Boss BF2) so it's probably safe to assume that the distortion will be along those same lines, probably a boss ds1, although I can't find any schematics to compare them. As you know the Tokais were made in Japan so would have used the same high quality components as the older Boss units, which are held in higher regard than the modern models made in Taiwan.

Make sure you get one with a metal enclosure. The ones with model numbers ending in "2" were plastic, "1's" were metal.

I've actually just bought one, but I was curious to know what other people think of them. Mine's a TDS-1 & it has a sturdy metal case

I very seldom use mine, but the few times I have done I found it useful. I'm usually quite happy with just 'preamp into tube amp' overdrive though, most distortion boxes are a bit fizzy IMHO.
Although I did like the RAT when I tried it a few years ago.

/Magnus

Hi Magnus, i had one of the original Rat distortion pedals in the early eighties and i would have to say it was the best sounding distortion pedal i ever have used, wish i never sold it.... :(

Mick

That's the one, my musical partner-in-crime still has it so I have visiting rights :lol: . I've heard that later models aren't as good but I haven't actually tried them...

/Magnus

I have heard the same thing, the originals are very hard to get now as they have achieved "cult status". Oh well i still have the memories... :wink:

Mick

Latest posts

Back