Vox Valvetronix

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobw

Reaction score
Has anybody tried/bought one of these? They appear to offer a good variety of amp models and effects.
BobW

Hi there,

yes I have checked these amps. For me, it is the best modeling amp, it
feels almost like a 'real' one.

Check out this site: http://www.valvetronix.com/ There is a beautyful
animation at the startsite and there are also some samples on it.

Greetings Wolfgang

I bought one about a month and a half ago, it's the new AD120 VTX with the closed back cabinet and the new "neo dog" speakers. Just my opinon, but I think it sounds GREAT. It's not perfect, if your a nu metal type guitarist look elsewhere, but for the rest of us it's darn hard to beat. For a comparisson I did an A to B test with my 50 watt Marshall JCM 800 (an 81' model that was modded to Brit spec, EL34's in place of the 6550's we got here in the states) anyway, I thought it sounded very close to my Marshall, and after playing them both I actually prefered the Valvtronix ! Kind of made me realise I should take my Marshall in for servicing ( this is not a knock on the Valvetronix) . It's a great amp, just go to the music store your self and try it, I think you will like it.

Regards
Bill

:D I have a home-made Valvtronix, I bought a pristine Vox Buckingham two years ago, an beauty but a Thomas model ,solid state...but very cool looking! I wanted desparetly to use it but it was a "Toneless Turd" The Line 6 Pod to the rescue! Guitar into Pod, Pod into Turd, Turd into Golden Relic! Ha Ha! Sounds great and looks great, that amp on it's stand Gives me a Woody everytime I look at it! And all of it under $500! 8) TG

Hi,
I just bought the new 60 watt version with the neodog speakers. It sounds awesome to my mind. I'm British and aging, I had a bunch of old MArshalls and AC30's back in the late 70's early 80's when they were cheap and always loved the sound. This amp totally nails those sounds and all from 1 amp!!! Footswitch is a little pricey but the quality of sound is great, wanna buy a used MArshall valvestate?

Julian

I bought one (AD60VT) in early 04. In Dec 04 it went bad on me while rehearsing. Vox fixed it, said it was a bad IC. The sound it was making when it went bad was it was very flat and warbly. I used the UK Blues setting most of all as this was the sound I liked. Anyway, after it was fixed I played it another month or so, the warranty expired, and then of course it broke again the exact same way. So, I bough something else. But, I've kept the AD60VT. It seems the bad flatting out/warbling problem is only with the UK Blues setting. I can get passable sounds out of the other amp models. Maybe the IC I wore out was only in the UK Blues signal chain or something.

Anyway, I would recommend NOT getting this amp. If you're like me, there are going to be 1 or 2 settings you like and you are going to use them 90+% of the time. Since that's the case, just get the real thing or facsimile with real tubes and stay away from this DSP crap. It's too smart for it's own good. I am not a Luddite, I swear. Just get a good basic tube amp and apply your own colors through your fingers, your guitar settings, effects. My humble .02, anyway.

I've played the 15 watt and 30 watt version and they sound better than the Behringer V-Amp 2 and Line 6 POD I used to own. The Fender Cyber range is pretty decent too, modelling technology is getting an awful lot better, as the release of NI's Guitar Rig 2 is showing. I'm going back to university in September so I won't be able to lug a big amp around so I'm going digital with Guitar Rig 2 as it'll save me a hell of a lot of space in the car and sounds pretty **** good through my monitors. Personally I think people should approach digital modelling amps and software as not being representative of the amps they are emulating but as sound sources in their own right. As someone who likes experimental music, it's absoluely perfect for me. However, for plain ol' rock n' roll, nothing beats a basic tube amp with a splash of reverb. Horse for course and all that.. :)

Andy.

Latest posts

Back