Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pimphat's no serial Greco doesn't have the Cort shielding paint etc features so it's likely to be Japanese.
The Grecos with the shielding paint etc features are just too different from the usual Japanese Grecos to be coming from the same Japanese factories.
They have Korean build features and when some of them have COR-TEK pots well it has to be Cort.

hello everyone!

could someone help me identify this guitar?

After a few research, my guess is that is a japanese model produced in 1980, not a mint serie , not a super real either, the fret binding is there, wich model could it be?

(the black plastic thingie must be a support for a Roland midi pickup)

I should get more pictures soon

Hi everyone. I'm a noob. I recently bought a Greco LP and I couldn't find any info about it online.

I was wondering if anyone of you knowledgeable folks could help me out here?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300171585790&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

It's an EG650N. Has anyone played one or owns one of these?

there used to be some infos on that model on http://grecomania.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ but the site looks dead now. I think there were very few made.

I had the 550 with the bolt on neck and ebony fretboard, nice guitar with loud pick up.

I had a Ibanez Deluxe 59'er (Les Paul copy) and it was from the same years (mid 70s) and same factory (FujiGen) and it had a chambered body and a bolt on neck and a maple fingerboard and it sounded pretty good to me.
I really liked the maple neck it had and I used to play it through a 100 watt Marshall and the chambered body/maple neck/Ibanez Super 70 pickups/100 watt Marshall combination was pretty good.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/greco/greco/doragonguitar.html

http://homepage3.nifty.com/greco/img/guitar/d_eg650n.jpg

1974 make it seems coming EG650N. ' It is the unique model which represents the 70s first half. ' With the item which May of 73 upgrades EG550N of first appearance in the catalog, the ' April of 74 it was published from the Vol.1 catalog. 650N became set neck specification, but as for having back contour common feature. ' Production end and it was short-lived with 75 year first half, but adopting the toggle SW of the switch craft corporation make to first stage. As for those of picture body, also neck with mahogany, as for top veneer 2 piece, as for back plywood, as for neck 1 piece. Sale at the beginning there is record that the neck not to be 1 piece, the body was the veneer. In addition, because also those of 1975 logograph (LJ reference)"of wheel attachment R" are verified, this is production of mid term. The body with the cavity is improbable, but there is the sounding which leaves the hollow cavity very.

Thanks for those links, japanstrat.

I'm gonna go check 'em out. :D

EDIT: Oh man...it's in Japanese. The translation comes out a bit hard to understand though.

This is what he seems to be saying.
The model started around May 1973 and finished in the first half of 1975. Around April 1974 the neck was changed from bolt on to set neck.
Most of them seem to have one piece mahogany necks and the body tops are mostly a 2 piece veneer and the chambered body sounds pretty good.

Thanks again japanstrat. I'm guessing the model itself isn't really sought after, huh?

The guitar is on it's way from Japan...can't wait to play it. :D :D :D

Funny how Grecomaniac started this massive thread and then disappears in '06 after all of 7 posts. :lol:

I've got a '78 greco se 500 strat style guitar but i'm not an expert on wood or reading japanese i know the neck is maple on maple but i can't tell if the body is japanese ash (Sen) or Alder wood. Can you set me straight on this ??

207tamg.jpg

On second look I think it would be easier for you maybe to identify the wood by the back of the guitar, hope this helps

2i9pjyb.jpg

Thank - You Japanstrat for the information on wood types, I generally play gibson style guitars and I know the woods involved, I saw this old beauty one day and just fell in love with it, i'm sure you know what that's like ,and really enjoying it's lovely tones, it is fairly old, i am only 9 years older and the craftmanship on it is second to none they put it together very well and my curiousity on it's specs were kind of driving me mad, the whole guitar weighs in at just 7 pounds and 5.8 oz so i'm guessing it's either Sen or swamp ash, i'm leaning towards the Sen because i figure it was more abundant and local to them also i think the wood grain matches better. It's very light and it has a huge groove on the back top which makes it extremely comfortable for me to play. it's an absolute joy !!! It's a little getting used to the fender sized frets but not as much as i thought.

Again thanks for your time Bud --- Rock on !!!!

Yes it looks like Sen to me. It looks similar to the 1970s Ibanez and Greco Destroyers which were Sen.

Thanks again Japanstrat, I just found out that Sen is a member of the ginsing/ivy family of trees and is referred to in Japan ofton as "Hari - Gari, Learn something new every day, in the end I wouldn't care if it was made out of left over zero fighter aircraft wings from the War or plywood, it sounds awesome !!!! I guess 30 years of aging hasn't hurt the tone or the colouring either.......I can only imagine what a Tokai version must sound like as I would think they are as good or possibly superior depending on the guitar.

Cheers
Brokentoes

:lol:

Latest posts

Back