Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ornettes and Bacchus question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoonbadger
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Ornettes and Bacchus question Reply with quote

Hi all, someone is offering me an ornettes les paul for 1495$. Can anyone tell me what these are like?. I've never heard of ornettes before and can find any info on them. Does anyone know the specs?. Or have any experience with them?.

I'm also looking at a bacchus BLS-59.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320294533782&indexURL=3#ebayphotohosting
I dont know what the model number is (ie. BLS-59-xxx) but this is what the headstock looks like...

It's a light burst finish, with a lightly flamed top. Supposedly it's a solid 2-piece cap and a lacquer finish (nitro i'm presuming).
Can anyone tell me anything about these?. Is the finish definitely nitro?. Is the cap solid or a laminate?. Anyone else out there got one?.

Thanks for reading all!.

Edit: sigh,no point in being coy i guess

Last edited by spoonbadger on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a nice couch Hisashi has there ...................

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
spoonbadger
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIJvintage wrote:
that's a nice couch Hisashi has there ...................

It's not like he uses it in all of his product pics or anything like that .
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the Ornetts but the bacchus are excellent guitars, the one you are looking at has a 2 piece flame maple top 1 piece mahogany back and
long tenon neck joint. That particular guitar is one of Hisashi's from his own collection, it would be a beauty, it is spec'd higher than the BLS 120's. I have had several dealings with Hisashi and he is excellent to deal with.

Mick
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ornetts were made for Kanda Shokai ( Greco) by PGM, A small company that makes the Van ZAndt and Moon guitars. I tried one a long time ago ( around 2000) It's top notch!! Higher than Bacchus. It was also a lot more expensive.

The first ones were nitro finish but I think they changed and made oil finish like Bacchus later.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BLS 59 bacchus are almost as good as it gets, the oil finished ones you refer to are the BLS 120, these are a different guitar entirely, they are a plain top with an oil finish, the BLS 59 are a replica of the 59 LP and were made in smaller numbers and will appreciate in price in the years to come, Bacchus is still a lesser known brand outside Japan and as these guitars become more recognized they will continue to go up in value.

Mick
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to precise that Ornetts are not replicas, the head's shape is different.
spoonbadger
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, so both guitars are amazing?

Does anyone know what the necks are light on either of them?. I'm used to a modern fender C-shape (nicely thin but definitely not wizard-thin). Do bacchus/ornettes use big chunky necks or are they fairly slim?.

And how do the pickups weigh in?.I've heard good things about the bacchus yutas, but what do they sound like?. PAFish?.Beefier?. Different EQ?.

Thanks for the replies btw .
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't speak for the Ornetts, although I have heard only good things about them.

I owned a Bacchus BLS but unsure of the exact model number; it had a 1 piece back, 2 pc. plain maple top w/oil finish in natural, long neck tenon, top end pots & orange caps.
The neck was quite a hand full too, and is actually one of the only reasons I sold it; just too big.

It weighed in at 8 lb. 9 oz., and was very resonant.
I really did not care for the pickups, until I removed the covers, and then they were only slightly more appealling to my ears.

As far as quality of overall consistancy, workmanship & quality of materials, I believe that Bacchus is very difficult to compete against, IMO.

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: