Help me ID this Greco LP!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leadguitar_323 said:
Well oiled rosewood can go very dark and also rosewood can be "ebonised", i have a custom order Tokai with a rosewood board and the board is jet black, i know it is rosewood by the grain. The easy way to find out if it is chambered is to take the front pickup out and have a look .....it is fairly obvious.

Mick

so fretboards can be ebonized? there are some parts on the fretboard that are already chipped, and it is black. does it still count?

and about chambering and stuff, i think my idea of having a chambered body applies to carved out tops and not necessarily that of chambered pup holes. well i guess i was wrong about that.

The pup holes aren't chambered but the chambering should be visible from the pickup cavity, instead of a small hole for the wiring it will have a large cavity disappearing into the body of the guitar....are you familiar with what a pup cavity looks like.? When they ebonise rosewood i think they dye it so it is possible that it goes right through the wood.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
The pup holes aren't chambered but the chambering should be visible from the pickup cavity, instead of a small hole for the wiring it will have a large cavity disappearing into the body of the guitar....are you familiar with what a pup cavity looks like.? When they ebonise rosewood i think they dye it so it is possible that it goes right through the wood.

Mick

enlightening reply there Mick, thanks.

im pretty stubborn so i keep thinking that chambering means carving a portion of the part of body right after the tailpiece area, and that having large channels for the wires and the pickups is not considered chambering. oh well, i guess i have to sink that in.

This is what i mean by chambered. This is before the maple top goes on......Hope this helps.
146632.jpg

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
This is what i mean by chambered. This is before the maple top goes on......Hope this helps.
146632.jpg

Mick

that's what i meant before actually. have played a couple of chambered LPs before and my Greco LP is no way as light as those, so i was thinking if only the pup cavities and the large wires channels are the "chambered" parts of my guitar, and if that's what you guys consider as chambering since those are the parts in mine that have considerably larger holes. other than those (the pup cavities and wire channels), i doubt if the whole body of my LP is chambered in a way somewhat similar to that in the picture.

Sean

When it comes to Grecos, the pre 1980 lower end models have chambered bodies and it is quite obvious when you know what you are looking for, if it weighs around 8.5 to 10 pounds then i would say it is a solid body..

Mick

Back