Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Grey Whistle Test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Old Grey Whistle Test Reply with quote

I got the DVD yesterday!!! I know you guys in the UK have seen these clips before but I was blown away by the live, in studio performances!!! Elton "Tiny Dancer" at a Steinway all by himself! Edgar Winter Group" Frankenstein" with Rick Deringer! Little Feat!! and my favorite clip...The Great Rory Gallagher "Hands Off"!!! Man , that was a great TV show!! I also got "A Concert For George" and " Finding Nemo" wich has played in my daughters room for the last 3 Days!! TG "two degrees in be-bop, a PHD in swing, he's a master of rhthym he's a Rock n Roll King"
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had some great music shows back in the day...but now even TOTP is trying to be MTV
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tokaiguy,

Ha,?.really enjoy your reminiscences here, LoL! Yeah, the Old ?GW Test was a fine program for showing really good bands. All sorts of people played live on that show (late night), but just off-hand I recall Bill Nelson of BeBop Deluxe doing lovely raw renditions of ?Sister Seagull? and ?Maid in Heaven? with a very resonant Gibson semi (335 I think). Great stuff !

Ian.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are Killing Me! Bill Nelson is a God!! I saw Be Bop Deluxe on every American Tour they ever made! They played The Hollywood Sportatorium North of Miami on the Drastic Plastic tour opening for Blue Oyster Cult. I have a rare copy of "Live In The Air-age" on CD that no one can borrow! I hear you have Be Bop tribute bands in the U.K. The englishman who works for me has gone home for the Holiday, I set up his Springy before he left, He found the original Tokai pup's at his Mum's house is bringing them back for my Christmas gift! By the by, I'm a Harvey Too! Cheers TG
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is on this DVD along with all the other hosts , you see them then and now! Time has not been kind to the female! TG
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one! She has an MBE behind her name. Are MBE's like a Star On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame, you can buy one? Added material on the DVD has Mick and Keef interviews, Elton and Bernie etc... Keef's Teef's were a dental nightmare!! Did'nt realise who much I liked Rory's music till I say that clip TG
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whispering Bob can be found on Radio 2 doing a country show - he's still sounds as cool as ever. He also does the annual country music awards on telly.

I must admit to being a little jealous of the American country scene, as an ex sessioner and muso in my own right I wish there was a place where we old gutarists could go to earn a crust in the UK.

I agree Barry, Rory was very cool but I don't find the albums very hot.

GB
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ! There is'nt a recording that captured him. Rory was at his best on stage. I saw him live 4 times in Rock Festival settings and he always delivered. TG
prince bishop
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Rory Gallagher for the first time at the Newcastle City Hall Saturday 13th September 1980 (still got the ticket stub,how sad is that)!!!!anyway a few weeks later I got my first Fender Str*t and when I took it apart the neck was stamped 13th Sept '66,boy did I take that as an omen! I was going to be the biggest rock star ever!.....any way so much for bloody omens !
F*$%ing great gig though!!

pb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: