Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ce 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Acoustics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: ce 300 Reply with quote

I see a few Tokai CATS EYES CE 300 for sale. are these solid tops? are they good?

The string heigt at the 12th fret are 3.5 cm on the 6th and 2.5 on the first... Is that high action? thanks for the help... ken
Goestoeleven
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: ce 300 Reply with quote

kmarccoco wrote:
...The string heigt at the 12th fret are 3.5 cm on the 6th and 2.5 on the first... Is that high action? thanks for the help... ken

Blimey! 1 inch string height at the first string? You sure you're not looking at cheese cutters??

I think you mean MM not CM.
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one and she's great guitar for the money.
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: ce 300 Reply with quote

Goestoeleven wrote:

Blimey! 1 inch string height at the first string? You sure you're not looking at cheese cutters??

I think you mean MM not CM.

Actually, my first guitar - a Sears Silvertone 12 string - developed an incredible neck bow, with close to a half-inch at the 12th fret. Amazing what they can do with really green lumber.
Learned to play a bit despite that..
But, yeah.. I'd opt for mm and not cm.
Goestoeleven
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joys of confusing measurements:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WXGbwIkvh38

barburny
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned the ce 150 200 250 300 and 400 and they have all been great builds with fantastic tones
It always makes me wonder how good the real top ends models must be and is there a real big differents
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the top end 7okai acoustics? I thought the CE 300 and 400 were the top. Also, are they exact martin knock offs with the same internal bracing paterns that Martin used? thanks !!!
barburny
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not 100% sure but I seem to rember see a ce1000 at some point
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought the CE 300 and 400 were the top

I have a CE600 and I think there were higher end models above. The model labelling doesn't remain consistent either--newer models have an entirely different model system, and there are some quite high end recent models as well.

Dating these is a bit confusing--I've read conflicting things (first 2 digits, or last 2 digits of serial for date), that would make mine either a 1976 or a 1984 model. The headstock on mine (all caps CAT'S EYES) doesn't seem to appear anywhere around 1984 in catalogues, so I would guess earlier. I'm not sure if my CE600 is an "exact" Martin copy, but it sure is a nice guitar--I'll try to take some photos and post.

One thing to watch with these (and all older acoustic guitars) is the neck action. If it's 3.5mm at the 12th fret it's probably playable (assuming it's not fretting out/neck is straight), but you should also look at the height of the saddle to see if it's been shaved right down--if it's not you may be able to improve the action if you find it too high. Also look at the neck join (at the body) to see if there are obvious signs of a reset, or of any movement. A professional neck re-set (at least where I live) can cost as much or more than what you're looking at paying for this, so you want to be careful!
________
VORTEC ENGINE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Acoustics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: