Blackheart Little Giant Top-New toy in da house ...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan - Dave uses a Holy Grail pedal in-line between guitar & amp which sounds pretty good to me, Ive read a few people, on the Orangs amps forum, who don't rate them, and bang on about the T-Rex Roommate. but to my ears the holy grail does a very good impersonation of a good spring reverb!

I don't bother :D

The amp has an FX loop doesn't it? There are always loads of cheap rack mounted reverbs on ebay. Something like this might be worth a go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALTO-AVERB-24-32-Bit-Digital-Effects-Module-Reverb_W0QQitemZ260224722850QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260224722850&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers John! Nope, no FX loop (not even on the RAT ones). At the back on the standard LG you have five speaker outputs (!!!), the modded one has a footswitch socket and a line out.

AlanN said:
Cheers John! Nope, no FX loop (not even on the RAT ones). At the back on the standard LG you have five speaker outputs (!!!), the modded one has a footswitch socket and a line out.

I'm sure Dave's had an FX loop, could be wrong though. If not I would stick to a pedal, running line level stuff in front of an amp usually gives pretty bad results.

I'm sure Dave will be along to give you a review of the Holy Grail, but I thought it was pretty good!

Hi Folks,

Alan's right - no effects loop.

I like the Holy Grail reverb pedal and tend only to use it on clean tones up to about a quarter of a full turn. For distorted valve tones I prefer the to leave it unmodified so you get the nice but subtle valve rectifier fade/swell effect etc.

I think both the hall and spring reverbs are nice and the pedal good value for money. Not much of a fan of the flurb (flange/reverb) effect but I guess that's just taste. There are likely to be better pedals around but at c?54 I think it's a very good deal and sounds really nice to my ears. The TRex Room-Mate might be better but I haven't tried one and it costs over ?200!

Dave

Thanks Dave, much obliged - for the little I use it, I don't think the Room-Mate is for me! I'll cadge a Holy Grail from a friendly local store and give it a bash.

just bumping this about the rat hot rod blackheart - there is an e-bay sale now that does have an effects loop on the back. Have to say it looks the business and probably matches the Blackstar 5W thats getting good reviews.

One thing (I am ignorant of valve amps and cabinets etc.) - it has two speaker connections at the back with a 4/8/16 ohm switch. Just how would this work and just how loud could this thing go if it can hook up to two external cabs?! Andy gave me a basic reply on e-bay but when I saw this link on Google I thought I could get ideas from users! :D

highway_star said:
Just how would this work and just how loud could this thing go if it can hook up to two external cabs?! Andy gave me a basic reply on e-bay but when I saw this link on Google I thought I could get ideas from users! :D

Well ... it's loud ... too loud for an appartement but I'm afraid not loud enough if you're used to play in a band ... I'd use my DRRI then ...
For me it's OK and gives me a full load of nice cranked up tubes sound due to the four 12" speakers ... :lol:
Roger

Back