1984 TST-62 into homebuilt amp Audio Clip

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamedojo

Reaction score
Hello! First post here!

I just picked up cool tokai guitar to compliment my '72 Ash/Maple Fender strat and I'm really digging the guitar. I made quick clip today of me playing over some SRV&Albert King music. I'm panned Left, song is panned right.

http://www.tylergrund.com/mp3/tylers_tokai.mp3

The amp is a 2 channel mastervolume amp, but I'm thinking of trying it again with my super reverb setup to get a bit more chime/clarity. Either way, I really am digging this guitar!

Tyler
P.s. the picture shows a vibroverb, but thats just the shell I used to build the amp. I didn't use a fender for this clip.

tokai_homebuild.jpg

Cool, your guitar is the very first Tokai line which had the modified headstock for the US market. It's a 1983 and many people on this forum (including myself until lately) believe they didn't exist until 85. Good to see one alive and well!

/Magnus

mrsuspend said:
Cool, your guitar is the very first Tokai line which had the modified headstock for the US market. It's a 1983 and many people on this forum (including myself until lately) believe they didn't exist until 85. Good to see one alive and well!

/Magnus

Interesting. BUT, I have a theory. Even though many have claimed the serial numbers don't mean much, I've scoured the net looking for clues. My S# is 140XX. I have seen similar TST-62 pics with 14XXX serials claiming to be '84s, then a few other examples of 15XXX serials claiming to be '85. I don't have real proof, but I have a sneaking feeling the second number in the 5 number serials (without the L) might be indicating the date.

BTW, what makes you believe its an "83?

Your exact guitar is in the 1983 Tokai US catalogue:
83_catalogue_5.jpg

This is the first time the modified headstock appears.
In 84 the logo changed from "7okai" to "Tokai" which leaves 83 as the only possible production year.

/Magnus

mrsuspend said:
Your exact guitar is in the 1983 Tokai US catalogue:
This is the first time the modified headstock appears.
In 84 the logo changed from "7okai" to "Tokai" which leaves 83 as the only possible production year.

/Magnus

Except there are some details that don't match up.

? My guitar has "E" stamped pickups
? The body is Alder...

I don't know what the catalogue means by "Hot pickups" but E's were the top Tokai pickups at the time and I see no reason why they shouldn't be in your guitar which seems to be some sort of US version of an ST-60.
The body wood is odd for this model, but the fact remains there were no 7okai logo strats produced after 1983 AFAIK.

/Magnus

Latest posts

Back