Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am sorry, but I have to bring this one up once more:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony o'Riordan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are right to point out the condition of the instrument as being an issue when it comes to agreeing a price; I think the question though was about the guitar's authenticity. SleazyJesus - can you actually demo this guitar before you part with your cash?
SleazyJesus
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really... Its about 500 km from where I live...
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the simple answer is that you're taking quite a big gamble if you buy this. As a number of us said in the earlier thread, it's NOT an ST80, it's either an ST50 or ST60, and it's not all original, possibly it just has a changed scratchplate.

It might be a great guitar, but it's the condition of the frets that seems to be the biggest concern. If it needs a refret, it could end up costing you more than buying a better one straight from Japan.

How lucky are you feeling?

SleazyJesus
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

How lucky are you feeling?

I'am the true incarnation of Murphy's law - so..... well what more to say;)
SleazyJesus
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to end this thread, once and for all:) I decided not to buy this one, but I did buy another one. It is not original anymore, was until about two yars ago, but I got it cheap, and it is the best damn guitar I have ever owned!

I am a bit unsure of the model, I think I am the third owner, and what is suppused to be number one think it is from 78-79. I am not sure:)

Here are some pictures of my new beauty!

Lars

Last edited by SleazyJesus on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ash body, so it could be an ST60 or 80 even!! even if it has been routed for a humbucker it should be a great guitar. Well done for getting it cheap
SleazyJesus
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 50, embossed in the last fret. Any idea which pickguard is the original? 8-hole?

I paid about the same price the last owner paid for the pick up set. So I consider it a good deal:)
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like EMGs? I bought an ESP Strat fitted with EMGs last year. Luckily I managed to sell the whole scratchplate & pickups for about ?100, which was enough money to buy some decent pickups.

stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleazyJesus wrote:
It's a 50, embossed in the last fret. Any idea which pickguard is the original? 8-hole?

Yes, it's a 50s Strat copy, so it should have an 8 hole single ply white scratchplate. If the model number is stamped on the fretboard, I think that means it's a 1978 or 79.
SleazyJesus
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They look like EMGs? I bought an ESP Strat fitted with EMGs last year. Luckily I managed to sell the whole scratchplate & pickups for about ?100, which was enough money to buy some decent pickups.

That is also what I have in mind, either sell it or trade with some guy who likes this active ^&*(:)

It seems a bit hard to get the original set, but I will get a black 8 hole at least, and put in some quarter punders or something - far from original - but its a bastard and i think it will suit it perfectly. When I started the search for a strat copy - and ended here, I figured a black body with red pearl or tortoise and lip sticks, but I think this one wil have to be "rougher"

Quote:
Yes, it's a 50s Strat copy, so it should have an 8 hole single ply white scratchplate. If the model number is stamped on the fretboard, I think that means it's a 1978 or 79.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: