I am sorry, but I have to bring this one up once more:

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleazyJesus

Reaction score
I am from Norway -seems like you want to know.

Stumbled upon a "Springy Sound " from '81 on/in(?) a Norwegian guitar forum. I googled it and enden up here:) and found this one:
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11441&highlight=springy+sounnd

The item:
http://forum.gitarnorge.no/index.php?showtopic=15964

As you can see the repeated advise is to ask before a buy, so that is what I will do.

What can I make of this? If it is a ******* of some kind, at least it would be nice to know what the different parts might be.

I have read for hours, but (I am not even a amateur yet) cant seem to figure this out.

Or, if it is not a *******, here are the facts: Neckplate SN-L 5 digit - have to be post '81, right? U shaped neck with skunk stripe, FINAL PROSPEC saddle, U stamped pick-ups.... and 11 hole scratch plate -its fake if I've got it right, what might it be? What is it worth?

I am sorry if I'm a "newb", but got interested in theese guitars about 2 days ago - I am trying to learn.

There are only questions to raise about this one.

It looks a bit unusual: it could be a legitimate model with a replacement scratchplate (one with extra holes) or it could be a Tokai that was put together from two different guitars. Deluxe tuners and saddles were on very late Springy Sounds so they could be original to the guitar. They were also the mainstay of Goldstar SOund guitars so it could be a non-original body and neck combination.

For a 50's neck, the body should have a single ply 8-hole scratchplate. Can't make out the one on the photos as single or triple ply. If it's single it may be that a previous owner just drilled more holes - which begs the question why? Don't know much about the markings - sure there are folks on here who can comment on that one.

Pick-ups etc suggest it's an ST-50.

No reason why is shouldn't be a very good playing guitar. The question is whether guitar 'integrity' is a big deal for you. For most guitar players the answer is usually No, it's just whether the instrument sounds and plays great.

I'd say the price reflects the state of the guitar. Springys (and Goldstars) usually go for quite a bit more in Scandinavia.

/Magnus

stratman323 said:
Are you buying from Innos?

Mike
Well, that is what I'am trying to decide::)

Magnus: Do you think this one is worth
4000 NOK (about 450 Euros - for all you "non-scandinavians")

Yes, I do. As far as I can see there are only two potentially dodgy items here:
The scratchplate may have been changed: no impact on sound.
The neck may belong to another Tokai Strat: As far as I know Springy necks were all made to the same spec qualitywise (please someone correct me if this is wrong), so no impact on sound.
So for NOK 4000, yes. For 5000 I'd hesitate :wink:

/Magnus

One thing no-one has pointed out, probably due to concentrating on it's authenticity, is that the guitar looks in far from great condition! The body is beat-up, the frets look like they are lifting from the fingerboard.

If you are looking on spending that much on a Tokai strat, keep your eyes peeled for a better example!

I agree that the frets are important, but I really do not mind the beat up body or the "very aged" bridge - ads character;)

Have not seen any other tokais in Norway, and on ebay they tend to go for far more than this... +shipment and taxes. Or am I wrong?

Well spotted John :oops:
The neck does look a bit knackered. Refretting and relacquering a maple neck is very expensive, at least in Sweden.

/Magnus

mrsuspend said:
Well spotted John :oops:
The neck does look a bit knackered. Refretting and relacquering a maple neck is very expensive, at least in Sweden.

/Magnus

Everything's expensive in Sweeden :wink: and Norway!!

OK, well allow a decent amount for a thorough fret stone, or maybe a re-fret. How does the price look now?

Any Springy or Goldstar would cost at the very least 5000NOK/6000SEK.
but a complete neck rehaul would cost somewhere around 4000NOK I believe, since you have to refret if you relacquer (and the coat does look rather grim). Just knocking the frets back into shape wouldn't be too expensive though.

Oh well...

/Magnus

People are right to point out the condition of the instrument as being an issue when it comes to agreeing a price; I think the question though was about the guitar's authenticity. SleazyJesus - can you actually demo this guitar before you part with your cash?

Well the simple answer is that you're taking quite a big gamble if you buy this. As a number of us said in the earlier thread, it's NOT an ST80, it's either an ST50 or ST60, and it's not all original, possibly it just has a changed scratchplate.

It might be a great guitar, but it's the condition of the frets that seems to be the biggest concern. If it needs a refret, it could end up costing you more than buying a better one straight from Japan.

How lucky are you feeling?

:eek:

Just to end this thread, once and for all:) I decided not to buy this one, but I did buy another one. It is not original anymore, was until about two yars ago, but I got it cheap, and it is the best **** guitar I have ever owned!

I am a bit unsure of the model, I think I am the third owner, and what is suppused to be number one think it is from 78-79. I am not sure:)

Here are some pictures of my new beauty!

n771715064_4674760_2151.jpg

n771715064_4674753_9753.jpg

n771715064_4674757_5801.jpg

Lars

Latest posts

Back