Gold star one piece body???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazdog

Reaction score
A fiend of mine just bought a 84 gold star L24104 Would this model be a one piece body?? thanks for all of your help and consideration bob

How would anyone be able to tell from that description if it's a one piece body or not? Why is the question relevant - have you looked the guitar over yourself?

Yes i have looked closely and i think it is not a one piece looks like it has a seam... But My friend that bought tells me seller assured him that it is one piece... it is solid black color and is hard to tell... thought that a member might be able to help with specs since we know---year 1984---model (gold star)--serial no. L24104... maybe not but this is all I know... Have had 5 7okai but all from78-81 easy to determine specs TE 60-- spingys les paul old and reborn no Love rocks yet... thanks for your help Bob

I would almost bet my balls its a 2 piece body, Tokai does its seams beautifully, quite often very hard to pick. And as far as i've seen there were not many high end Goldstars, and they still would probably have 2 piece bodies.

Mick

I doubt very much that its a 1-piece body, only a few VERY high-end Tokais had 1-piece bodies ST-100's, and apparently a few ST-80's, and every one I've ever seen has been a see through sunburst finish, not a solid colour. It seem's a total waste to take a very expensive 1-piece body and then spray it with a solid colour.

thanks lead guitar!!! So are there different models of gold star--like there are with springy??? And how does one determine the model bye the serial no. or is there a stamp on the pups like the spingy thanks again for your help!!! Bob

Yes John A that makes perfect sense... i am a bit guilty of over looking the obvious... Thanks for kind comments on this topic... All the best bob

There are a lot of other guys on here that will answer that a little better than myself, but from what i know it will be pickups, hardware and even models copied.

Mick

crazdog said:
thanks lead guitar!!! So are there different models of gold star--like there are with springy??? And how does one determine the model bye the serial no. or is there a stamp on the pups like the spingy thanks again for your help!!! Bob

Just to agree with what everybody else has said. Very unlikely that a Goldstar would have a one piece body - very rare for ANY Strat by any manufacturer to have a one piece body!

How do you tell the different models? Good question! ST40s have the cheaper, non-Kluson tuners & ceramic pickups. Serial numbers don't tell you either model number or date on Goldstars.

When new, Goldstars had a sticker like this on the back of the neck - that's the model number:

124_2439.jpg

Unfortunately, since they look rather cheap and nasty, these stickers tended to get peeled off. :cry:

As for what makes a Goldstar ST60 or ST80 different, we first have to find someone who has one - anyone got one? It is alleged that ST80s have a nitro finish, though the almost total lack of them makes it difficult to establish if that's true.

Mike

Joe, there seem to be plenty of Springy ST60s & ST80s - I have one of each myself - but higher level Goldstars seem to be much more rare, even though ST40, 50 & 55 Goldstars are more common than their Springy cousins.

I wish I knew why, but nobody here seems to be able to tell me. :(

Thanks for all your help!!! you guys are great and smart about your guitars--I thought I new alot now i know a little--but now a little bit more thanks again bob

I have (i think :lol: :oops: ) an st80, and the centre seam is very hard to tell (it's sunburst)- only way you can really tell for sure is by looking in the trem cavity at the bit next to the trem block, you can see the grains going the opposite way in there. that probably wouldn't work for a solid colour though...

stratman323 said:
Dave_Mc said:
I have (i think :lol: :oops: ) an st80...

Springy or Goldstar?

Mike, it's a Goldstar I sold on ebay quite a while ago, glad Dave's shown up here!! I did an acetone test on the guitar and I'm certain it was nitro, heres a link to an earlier discussion about the guitar, caused quite a bit of debate about what it was or wasn't.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10167&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=goldstar&start=15

Good question stratman323---Do you drive a mazda 323 -(just a joke but do you ??) you guys are great!! I thought i was the only dork that loves tokai---first introduced to me by cybercat HK... Hey Let me ask all you tokai dorks a dumb question!!! If you could buy one guitar (in the tokai line) that played like like the fire down below... Which one would it be??? Bob

crazdog said:
Good question stratman323---Do you drive a mazda 323 -(just a joke but do you ??) you guys are great!! I thought i was the only dork that loves tokai---first introduced to me by cybercat HK... Hey Let me ask all you tokai dorks a dumb question!!! If you could buy one guitar (in the tokai line) that played like like the fire down below... Which one would it be??? Bob

No, the 323 isn't a reference to a Mazda! Obviously I should have been stratman1, but somebody else had already grabbed that one. :evil: So I went for 323, but it's nothing to do with cars.

One dream Tokai? For me I suppose it has to be a Springy ST80, & luckily I have an excellent example - thanks JohnA! The LS160S P90 Goldtop Love Rock is a pretty impressive guitar too, having tried Johnny's recently. And the high end ES models (335s) are something pretty cool too. Any of the high end Tokais with nitro finish are likely to be really great guitars - and the "ordinary" poly finish models are pretty **** good too.

So this thread has all been about the Goldstar than JohnA sold? I remember that one - so it looks as though it was one of only two or three genuine Goldstar ST80s that have been identified on the forum in the last year or so. Cool. So we can all be pretty confident now that a Goldstar ST80 has a V profile neck & a nitro finish?

thanks 323 I guess it's not the song but the singer... well no this thread has not been about JohnA gold star never saw or heard about it!! .. It was about a friend of mine bought a gold star and the seller claimed it was a solid body ... Obviously it is not for I can see a seam (but my friend does not want to see it) it is a poly finish with none kluson tuners low grade rosew fret board and solid black painted body... So it is not a solid body... Just wanted my friend to wise up that .. He has bought a low end gold star 1984 ST-40 (in my opinion) for $657 US dollars... That is the story Bob

Ah, that sounds like a lot for an ST40. I'm surprised to hear about the "low grade rosewood" though - all the 80s Tokais I have seen have surprisingly high quality rosewood boards, but I haven't tried an ST40.

It is a solid body though - solid as opposed to plywood. Just because it's not a one piece isn't a problem - a real 57 Fender costing ?50,000 is likely to have a two or three piece body (Leo hated waste), one piece bodies are virtually unheard of, & not necessary to get a great Strat.

Latest posts

Back