Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gold star one piece body???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazdog
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Gold star one piece body??? Reply with quote

A fiend of mine just bought a 84 gold star L24104 Would this model be a one piece body?? thanks for all of your help and consideration bob
Tony o'Riordan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would anyone be able to tell from that description if it's a one piece body or not? Why is the question relevant - have you looked the guitar over yourself?
crazdog
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have looked closely and i think it is not a one piece looks like it has a seam... But My friend that bought tells me seller assured him that it is one piece... it is solid black color and is hard to tell... thought that a member might be able to help with specs since we know---year 1984---model (gold star)--serial no. L24104... maybe not but this is all I know... Have had 5 7okai but all from78-81 easy to determine specs TE 60-- spingys les paul old and reborn no Love rocks yet... thanks for your help Bob
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost bet my balls its a 2 piece body, Tokai does its seams beautifully, quite often very hard to pick. And as far as i've seen there were not many high end Goldstars, and they still would probably have 2 piece bodies.

Mick
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much that its a 1-piece body, only a few VERY high-end Tokais had 1-piece bodies ST-100's, and apparently a few ST-80's, and every one I've ever seen has been a see through sunburst finish, not a solid colour. It seem's a total waste to take a very expensive 1-piece body and then spray it with a solid colour.
crazdog
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks lead guitar!!! So are there different models of gold star--like there are with springy??? And how does one determine the model bye the serial no. or is there a stamp on the pups like the spingy thanks again for your help!!! Bob
crazdog
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John A that makes perfect sense... i am a bit guilty of over looking the obvious... Thanks for kind comments on this topic... All the best bob
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of other guys on here that will answer that a little better than myself, but from what i know it will be pickups, hardware and even models copied.

Mick
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazdog wrote:
thanks lead guitar!!! So are there different models of gold star--like there are with springy??? And how does one determine the model bye the serial no. or is there a stamp on the pups like the spingy thanks again for your help!!! Bob

Just to agree with what everybody else has said. Very unlikely that a Goldstar would have a one piece body - very rare for ANY Strat by any manufacturer to have a one piece body!

How do you tell the different models? Good question! ST40s have the cheaper, non-Kluson tuners & ceramic pickups. Serial numbers don't tell you either model number or date on Goldstars.

When new, Goldstars had a sticker like this on the back of the neck - that's the model number:

Unfortunately, since they look rather cheap and nasty, these stickers tended to get peeled off.

As for what makes a Goldstar ST60 or ST80 different, we first have to find someone who has one - anyone got one? It is alleged that ST80s have a nitro finish, though the almost total lack of them makes it difficult to establish if that's true.

Mike
f5joe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, do you mean the lack of ST-80 Goldstars or all Tokai Strat types?

Here's an '80 ST-80 Springy:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, there seem to be plenty of Springy ST60s & ST80s - I have one of each myself - but higher level Goldstars seem to be much more rare, even though ST40, 50 & 55 Goldstars are more common than their Springy cousins.

I wish I knew why, but nobody here seems to be able to tell me.
crazdog
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help!!! you guys are great and smart about your guitars--I thought I new alot now i know a little--but now a little bit more thanks again bob
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (i think ) an st80, and the centre seam is very hard to tell (it's sunburst)- only way you can really tell for sure is by looking in the trem cavity at the bit next to the trem block, you can see the grains going the opposite way in there. that probably wouldn't work for a solid colour though...
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_Mc wrote:
I have (i think ) an st80...

Springy or Goldstar?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Dave_Mc wrote:
I have (i think ) an st80...

Springy or Goldstar?

Mike, it's a Goldstar I sold on ebay quite a while ago, glad Dave's shown up here!! I did an acetone test on the guitar and I'm certain it was nitro, heres a link to an earlier discussion about the guitar, caused quite a bit of debate about what it was or wasn't.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10167&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=goldstar&start=15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: