Pots and caps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not totaly sure, NOS russian made paper in oil caps, they sound fine to me! Got a few more if you want them :wink:

today I tried to change pots and caps on reborn old, I got a set of CTS and a pair of NOS PIO caps. But the holes on guitar are too small and pots can't go inside. Are there different measures? Different pots? Seller said this kit should be for les paul...

You should get some Alpha pots, metric sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPHA-GUITAR-POTENTIOMETER-250K-OR-500K-15mm-SHAFT_W0QQitemZ200241538421QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200241538421&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

CTS are US sizes so to fit them you would need to file out the holes in your guitar a TINY bit. If I were you I would get the Alphas

Diodibuh said:
tnx John, I think it's better idea to change pots instead of drilling holes ;)

I think you're right!! On my Goldtop, Reborn Old, I got the file out the holes only need to be a tiny bit bigger, but that was before I knew about metric pots :D

Love this topic! It really got me start thinking of swapping the pots of my Edwards Les Paul Goldtop. It's a fairly bright sounding guitar, even more with the current PAF-like pickups. But I love this guitar, it's very dynamic and versatile... I'm thinking of putting 300k or even 250k pots as volume pots.

What kind of pots (brands, size) are recommended?

Emiel

I know some of the Edwards guitars come with CTS pots as standard, if that's the case I would replace them with CTS, If they are metric size pots then the Alpha ones are as good as anything and very cheap too!

Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying:
- two 250k pots for volume
- one 500k pot for tone
- one 500k push/pull pot (placed at neck tone)

Do you think these will fit in my Edwards Les Paul (85-92) ?
Normal pots:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPHA-GUITAR-...hash=item200241538421&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Push/pull pot:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PUSH-PULL-GUI...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

The Edwards has Japanese style pots, so they are a bit longer and thinner.

Then I'll only need some decent wiring. I still have some nice caps here (thanks Roger!)

I really wouldn't use 250K pots for humbuckers.

Not sure if you would need long or short shaft for an Edwards, I would guess short but could be worng. I would take one out and check first, no need to un-wire it, just losen the nut.

What's wrong with the standard pots? I would think they would be high-quality ones, so you would get no benefit from changing them.

JohnA said:
I really wouldn't use 250K pots for humbuckers.

Not sure if you would need long or short shaft for an Edwards, I would guess short but could be worng. I would take one out and check first, no need to un-wire it, just losen the nut.

What's wrong with the standard pots? I would think they would be high-quality ones, so you would get no benefit from changing them.

Hi John,

Let me explain... As I said before :)
It really got me start thinking of swapping the pots of my Edwards Les Paul Goldtop. It's a fairly bright sounding guitar, even more with the current PAF-like pickups. But I love this guitar, it's very dynamic and versatile... I'm thinking of tting 300k or even 250k pots as volume pots.

I'm trying for a while now to darken my Les Paul, which is very bright sounding. I hear from a lot of people that Edwards are fairly bright sounding guitars... I tried to fiddle with the EQ on my amp, lowering the pickups, using the tonepots more... but then I heard of replacing the 500k pots by 300k or even 250k. A lot of Gibsons these days seem to use 300k volume pots... so that's got me thinking.

Then Poorman said in this topic the following:
Lower value pots will cut the resonant peak and make the guitar sound darker than if it had higher value pots. For example, I have a Gibson R7 (all 500k pots) that was unbearably bright by nature. So I replaced the bridge volume pot with a 250k and it sounds perfect now.

Although maybe not in the same league... I'm in a similar situation. My Edwards is a 1957 Goldtop, with similar pickups (low output PAF's). Plus I added a push/pull pot on the place of the neck volume pot. I love the out of phase sound I can get now, but the pot itself isn't great quality. And people say you better can have a push pull pot on the tone... etc!

Hope you can follow it!

Ah, I see. It would be interesting to know if it has the desired effect, if so I might try it on one of mine.

Good luck :wink:

Too bright sounding... What are your cap values? Before I changed pots, I would put in a larger cap value and see what that does as you dial down the tone; that should let you roll off more of the highs, down into the upper mids. Try 0.047 microfarads or so for value.

Emiel said:
... but then I heard of replacing the 500k pots by 300k or even 250k. A lot of Gibsons these days seem to use 300k volume pots... so that's got me thinking.

I can confirm that ... there are alot of guys out there who say that they'd never put 500k pots at the bridge position ...
I did it as well with 300k Gibson pots on my Classic and there's a noticable difference ...
BTW - we're talking about the bridge tone pot only ... the vol pots are still 500ks and so is the neck pup tone pot ...
Roger

Mick51 said:
Too bright sounding... What are your cap values? Before I changed pots, I would put in a larger cap value and see what that does as you dial down the tone; that should let you roll off more of the highs, down into the upper mids. Try 0.047 microfarads or so for value.

Hi Mick,
Currently I have two VitaminQ 0.022 uF...

tudor said:
Emiel said:
... but then I heard of replacing the 500k pots by 300k or even 250k. A lot of Gibsons these days seem to use 300k volume pots... so that's got me thinking.

I can confirm that ... there are alot of guys out there who say that they'd never put 500k pots at the bridge position ...
I did it as well with 300k Gibson pots on my Classic and there's a noticable difference ...
BTW - we're talking about the bridge tone pot only ... the vol pots are still 500ks and so is the neck pup tone pot ...
Roger

Hi Roger,
You mean I should use 300k pots only as tone pots?

What would be the difference between a 300k volume pot or a 300k tone pot? RS guitarworks' treble tamer kit features 300k volume pots for instance... and Poorman in this thread used those as well... my "whole" Edwards guitar is a tad bright, so wouldn't it be better to swap both the volume pots (as I will have a push/pull pot on the neck tone pot)

Emiel said:
RS guitarworks' treble tamer kit features 300k volume pots for instance... and Poorman in this thread used those as well... my "whole" Edwards guitar is a tad bright, so wouldn't it be better to swap both the volume pots (as I will have a push/pull pot on the neck tone pot)

OK Emiel ... follow the RS diagram ... could be a better decision!

Roger

http://www.kevinyates.com/ES_335_re-wire/index.html
Includes links to Mojo Guitar Works and the Epi wiring diagram

This is from another post but probably sits better here:

I recently replaced pickups (Tonerider Alnico 1V) on an ES 130 and decided to go the whole hog and replace pots etc. I had some trouble getting consistent info and have posted a step by step guide on the link above.

My Tokai had Alpha pots which I think are nearly as good as CTS but I decided to do everything - this means drilling out the guitar top to accept the imperial 3/8" shaft diameters on the CTS units - I used a metric 10mm step drill. This works fine and leaves a perfect hole - better than a simple twist drill. I made a template from corrugated cardboard to hold everything in place while soldering.
Cheers

Greetings. I've been reading this thread for a while and thought I'd throw out a question. I have an Edwards LP Jr. that has 250K pots in it. There is a cap soldered to the tone pot but I can't identify it. Here's a pic that I found that looks similar to what's in my Eddie. On it it says "473 KCK". Can anyone shed any light on what it is? Thanks.

Ceramiccapalonefortreblebleed17.JPG

That's likely to be a .473 ceramic cap - the cheapest type of cap, & the most commonly used value of cap.

Thanks for the reply. If I wanted to get a little more treble out of the P-90, what should I get?

Well if you changed the cap to a .022, it would bleed off less when you turned down the tone pot. But with the tone on 10, there should be no difference. I'll let others comment on what effect changing the pots would have, as this isn't really my area.

Actually, I think I should have said that your cap is a .047 - it's easy to get the decimal point in the wrong place!

Latest posts

Back