Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me ID this Greco LP!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imlikeajungle
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information: the tenon is a 'dowel tenon', mine has the same thing but it is not chambered as far as I can see/feel (it's extremely heavy - reason I'm selling it).
TonePort
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Update: i forgot to mention that the body was solid and there was a pancake top from the way i see it. it's quite heavy, heavier than most chambered LPs ive held. it could be that the wiring channels and the pup holes are considerably larger, and due to the absence of a tenon (at least that's how i view it), but the body is definitely heavy as per more detailed inspection.

ive already changed the knobs to bell-type and also the switch to cream-colored 3way LP switch.

a little fret leveling and replacement of pick up rings and this baby's good to go.

TonePort
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imlikeajungle wrote:
Just for your information: the tenon is a 'dowel tenon', mine has the same thing but it is not chambered as far as I can see/feel (it's extremely heavy - reason I'm selling it).

so there! i didnt see this post before LOL.

that explains it all.

and buddy, since we seem to have the same tenon construction, i'd like to know what series your Greco is in so i may have the slightest idea on which series mine fits in. thanks.
TonePort
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: still very much confused Reply with quote

i did more research and ended up finding additional info from JapanAxe.com. sigh.

mine is to heavy to be chambered. i mean, it could have a huge chamber for the pick ups but the body is no way chambered whatsoever (methinks). quite confusing the descriptions offered were, including the catalog specs. i like to think of mine as having a 2-piece pancake top anyway LOL.

a follow up question: EG500CB models have rosewood fingerboard, while mine has ebony. right, since it is black, and i understand that rosewood is a brown wood, while ebony is black (correct me on this).

weird guitar really (at least for me).
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well oiled rosewood can go very dark and also rosewood can be "ebonised", i have a custom order Tokai with a rosewood board and the board is jet black, i know it is rosewood by the grain. The easy way to find out if it is chambered is to take the front pickup out and have a look .....it is fairly obvious.

Mick
TonePort
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
Well oiled rosewood can go very dark and also rosewood can be "ebonised", i have a custom order Tokai with a rosewood board and the board is jet black, i know it is rosewood by the grain. The easy way to find out if it is chambered is to take the front pickup out and have a look .....it is fairly obvious.

Mick

so fretboards can be ebonized? there are some parts on the fretboard that are already chipped, and it is black. does it still count?

and about chambering and stuff, i think my idea of having a chambered body applies to carved out tops and not necessarily that of chambered pup holes. well i guess i was wrong about that.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pup holes aren't chambered but the chambering should be visible from the pickup cavity, instead of a small hole for the wiring it will have a large cavity disappearing into the body of the guitar....are you familiar with what a pup cavity looks like.? When they ebonise rosewood i think they dye it so it is possible that it goes right through the wood.

Mick
TonePort
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
The pup holes aren't chambered but the chambering should be visible from the pickup cavity, instead of a small hole for the wiring it will have a large cavity disappearing into the body of the guitar....are you familiar with what a pup cavity looks like.? When they ebonise rosewood i think they dye it so it is possible that it goes right through the wood.

Mick

enlightening reply there Mick, thanks.

im pretty stubborn so i keep thinking that chambering means carving a portion of the part of body right after the tailpiece area, and that having large channels for the wires and the pickups is not considered chambering. oh well, i guess i have to sink that in.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i mean by chambered. This is before the maple top goes on......Hope this helps.

Mick
TonePort
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
This is what i mean by chambered. This is before the maple top goes on......Hope this helps.

Mick

that's what i meant before actually. have played a couple of chambered LPs before and my Greco LP is no way as light as those, so i was thinking if only the pup cavities and the large wires channels are the "chambered" parts of my guitar, and if that's what you guys consider as chambering since those are the parts in mine that have considerably larger holes. other than those (the pup cavities and wire channels), i doubt if the whole body of my LP is chambered in a way somewhat similar to that in the picture.

Sean
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to Grecos, the pre 1980 lower end models have chambered bodies and it is quite obvious when you know what you are looking for, if it weighs around 8.5 to 10 pounds then i would say it is a solid body..

Mick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: