Help required to date Goldstar Sound.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech21

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum but not new to Tokai Guitars.
I have had a Tokai Goldstar now for about 12 months (got a few more other guitars as well) but I am finding difficulty in dating this one or telling what model it is. I originally thought it might be around 1984 but now I am not so sure.

It has a normal shape strat headstock,
String retainer (single) is metal butterfly type not button,
It has a script logo with the T not the backwards F,
Maple neck with skunk stripe, D profile not V profile,
12th fret marker dot centres are towards the edge of the fingerboard and not running directly under the A and B strings,
Body (repainted at some time) has a very deep rear contour,
Single ply scratch plate with 8 screws,
5 position selector switch,
Tuners look like Kluson type with the word Deluxe written on them,
Tuners are also split post type,
Pickups have staggered pole pieces,
Truss rod is a cross slotted screw (neck end) not an allen key,
4 bolt neck plate,
Serial No. on neck plate 19339 (no letter before the number).

Any info on this instrument will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gaz

PS
I have read the Tokai Guitar Registry on dating it but this only posed more questions than it answered (that is not a dig at the TGR, it is a fine piece of work) but I suppose that is the nature of the beast with dating stuff.

Hi Gaz,
This subject has been raised many times, and it is a little difficult to be accurate using the Registry Info. If you go by the Registry Info, with the Fender Type headstock shape, I read it that it can only be a 1984 model!? 1985, and later models suposedly have the pointed re-shaped headstock. Also, with Deluxe Tuners and Staggered pole pups, D profile neck, probably a ST-50 model.
I am sure other Forum members will offer other advice too.
Regards
Nik

Hi Gaz,

Here?s my guess (maybe not worth much, :-? !) - single ply scratch with 8 screws, single ?fly? retainer, Maple F-board, slotted Klusons, staggered pp?s etc all indicate a 1957 Strat (whether Tokai, Fender, Fender-Japan, or whoever), eg see http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/50s.htm

According to the Registry ?Tokai copies of the 1956 ? 60 Strat (inc. 1957) have 5 digit S/N on neck plate (without preceding L), ie models ST50,60 or TE 50,70? (ie like yours). As Nick says; from 1985 Goldstars should have a pointy H-stock (unlike yours). Hence.........if yours has a script logo, but not ?7okai? (& not black block logo) then it ?must? be a 1984 copy of the 57-Strat, and it?s one of the above ST/TE models. Any help :-? ?

Ian.

Tokai used the correct headstock for other markets than the US so it could actually be a newer than -84. I had an -85 Goldstar that I bought new here in Sweden and it had the correct headstock. The custom edition strats also had the correct headstock here in Sweden, at least in the late 80's/early 90's. Here's a page from the European 87/88 catalog:
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai8705.jpg

Mike

Hi Mike,

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're right to say it could be after 85, that?s why I put quotation marks around the word ?must?, ie meaning there was really no certainty about it at all, :lol: LoL!

OK, the registry is a fantastic piece of work, and it?s the best info we have (well done everyone), however, to me it seems more complete & easier to use for the Les Paul?s, less so for the Fenders. But looking at your link to the catalogue page, aren?t those all big H-stock 70?s re-issues :eek: ? I?m pretty sure Gaz is describing a small H-stock 57-ri :-? ?

Disclaimer:- all my Tokai info. comes either from the Registry or via keyword search on the Forum (or elsewhere on the Web) - nobody should take any of it as personal first-hand knowledge, :-? LoL!

All the best,

Ian.

ps:- if anyone ever wants to re-write that section of the Registry (ie "dating"), then I volunteer, seriously.

ian said:
Hi Mike,

But looking at your link to the catalogue page, aren?t those all big H-stock 70?s re-issues :eek: ? I?m pretty sure Gaz is describing a small H-stock 57-ri :-? ?

All the best,

Ian.

Nope, they are all small headstock 50's and 60's replicas (except for the "40" models that are not exact replicas but still have the small headstock), it's actually my catalog that's been scanned.

Mike

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and the very much appreciated info.
It does have a small headstock and not one of the 70's "big lump of wood" ones, so I guess the general feeling is an '84-'85 1957 replica.
This is the 3rd Tokai I have owned and it is certainly the best sounding Strat I have ever played (including Fenders from the mid 60's and later, though not any of the 1950's vintage ones). It does sound very nice through an old Marshall 50.

Just off the subject a little, has anyone got or tried out over a long time period one of the Danelectro Reel Echo's?
I have asked my wife to buy me one for Christmas but I have only tried one out in a shop for 10 minutes or so 'cause I got a bit fed up with trying to listen to the finer points of what it could do when 2 guys were attempting to rip out a very bad version of Ace of Spades with a BC Rich, Epiphone EB3 and a JCM 900!!!

Thanks again

Gaz

Latest posts

Back