Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Paul)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stewart Mac Donald?s Luthier, Dan Erlewine recommends for cleaning any fretboard, in this order: moist breath, saliva, a rag barely dampened with hot water, then mineral spirits like lemon oil or naptha (ie lighter fluid).

He says that rosewood and ebony fretboards need lubrication from time to time and he recommends linseed oil or mineral spirits for that. It's implied here that maple boards don't need lubrication, not that mineral spirits or linseed oil are bad for them.

He does note that rosewood and ebony are hardy woods that can stand up to cleaning with solvents, and then says that maple boards will too, but you have to be careful and use the solvents very sparingly and make sure not to saturate the rag you use.

throstur said:
Stewart Mac Donald?s Luthier, Dan Erlewine recommends for cleaning any fretboard, in this order: moist breath, saliva, a rag barely dampened with hot water, then mineral spirits like lemon oil or naptha (ie lighter fluid).

He says that rosewood and ebony fretboards need lubrication from time to time and he recommends linseed oil or mineral spirits for that. It's implied here that maple boards don't need lubrication, not that mineral spirits or linseed oil are bad for them.

He does note that rosewood and ebony are hardy woods that can stand up to cleaning with solvents, and then says that maple boards will too, but you have to be careful and use the solvents very sparingly and make sure not to saturate the rag you use.

Maple board are also lacquered - the wood is sealed until you wear it off. No need to lubricate.

I don?t have a Camel guitar. However I have a Camel guitarnail!! :p Can?t remember where I got it, could be a Promo material from the manufacturer?
Camelguitarnail.jpg

Yeah, I play 1.14mm picks and they're almost indestructable.

Oh, that?s probably what I have been using for years then: The good old tortoise looking Fender Heavy picks....... Buy a bunch once in a while and keep few with each guitar and in each amplifier :-?

There was some confusion in my head about inches and millimeters. :oops:

leadguitar_323 said:
in my opinion a stiffer pick makes you be more accurate with your picking hand as the pick has no flex.. :wink:

Mick

I'm glad you didn't spell any of those words wrongly. :wink:

:lol:

leadguitar_323 said:
I use 1.5 to 2 mm picks, in my opinion a stiffer pick makes you be more accurate with your picking hand as the pick has no flex.. :wink:

Mick

It also dramatically affects the string tone - more plastic on the string, the more metal you push. A softer pick does flex and offers more of a glancing blow to the string. A heavier pick goes through the string more. Try it some time with various pick thicknesses - the difference is quite noticeable.

Also, if you're playing heavier strings (say 11's), you need more pick. Heavier strings, heavier pick = heavier, fuller sound. Conversely, if you play dental floss (9's) on your guitar, a heavy pick will break them in short order.

SRV played monster strings and bass fretwire - used a 1.5mm pick but used the thick rounded end instead of the pointy one. Big part of his tone.

Also, if you're playing heavier strings (say 11's), you need more pick. Heavier strings, heavier pick = heavier, fuller sound. Conversely, if you play dental floss (9's) on your guitar, a heavy pick will break them in short order.
I use 9-42's on ALL my guitars and the only time I've ever broken a string was at a gig about 2 months ago when one of the wound strings unwound at the bridge...so technically not a break...and I use Dunlop mini picks 1.5mm. :D

It also dramatically affects the string tone - more plastic on the string, the more metal you push. A softer pick does flex and offers more of a glancing blow to the string. A heavier pick goes through the string more. Try it some time with various pick thicknesses - the difference is quite noticeable.

SRV played monster strings and bass fretwire - used a 1.5mm pick but used the thick rounded end instead of the pointy one. Big part of his tone.

I agree with you allt the way. If I had to name one single thing that improved my playing the most, it was realising this. (It was actually pointed out to me by a very good player).

I have always had more difficulties with my right hand ( I am right handed) and learning this helped me a lot. I use 10 - 46 on all my guitars, except I use 11?s on my Jazzmaster and Gretsch 6120.

I agree with you guys about a heavier pick being a good thing for playing single string stuff more accurately, but some flexibility in the pick can be helpful for playing rhythm. Choppy chords & funky rhythms can be easier to get right with something a little lighter.

I settled on the Dunlop nylon 1mm plectra years ago. If I use anything heavier, it can make my rhythm playing sound too "stiff". As the only guitarist in the band, rhythm playing is rather more important to the sound than the solos.

Yes and of course it is a matter of playing style, what you get used to, taste, gear, e.t.c.

It would be interesting to start up a thread one day and ask people what they use. I bet we would get a lot of different opinion on that.

Eric Clapton used a coin on his Les Paul in the early years :p

Strictly between us, it was probably a?59 Burst with or without fret end nibs....... Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Billy Gibbons uses a coin, a US quarter, I believe. I remember him saying in an interview (years ago) that he was looking forward to trying out a 20p coin when he visited the UK.

stratman323 said:
Billy Gibbons uses a coin, a US quarter, I believe. I remember him saying in an interview (years ago) that he was looking forward to trying out a 20p coin when he visited the UK.
I actually tried that when I went to the states and came back with a pocketful of shrapnel...it was...different.
Also tried those stone picks when they were all the rage in the '80's but they were always too slippery for my sweaty mitts 8)

stratman323 said:

Then here you go (and these old ones are solid silver):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-3-GENUINE-MOJO-Silver-Coin-Guitar-PICKS-1916-28-64_W0QQitemZ370084634182QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370084634182&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

These are nice too but if you drag them across the body of your guitar, you'll be into bare wood before long:

http://www.drguitarpicks.com/stainless.html

Latest posts

Back