Tokai Hardpuncher?

Discussion Area for all things on the down low.

Moderator: ned

Air-Guitar
I only know 3 chords

Post by Air-Guitar » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:37 pm

On the Cat it says Limited products - Does this mean only a handfull were made?? was that a good or bad thing?

Im not really a "Bass player" give me 6 strings lol, any ideas if i wanted to part company with this is there a specilisted dealer or any ideas arounds figures to be looking at??

Nani
Guitar God

Post by Nani » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:17 am

Finish looks a bit like an Ibanez Roadstar model. Kind of nice to have a bursted flame top on your bass!

Nani
Guitar God

Post by Nani » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:19 am

Air-Guitar wrote:On the Cat it says Limited products - Does this mean only a handfull were made?? was that a good or bad thing?
Generally the most valuable Tokai models are those which are closest to original Gibson and Fender designs. I would say that although more rare, and perhaps nicer than a straight Fender bass copy, there is likely less demand for yours and therefore lower value.

SteveDoG
Guitar God

Post by SteveDoG » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:26 am

Surely it is a straight copy though. It's what is called the *slab* body. It was the original shape of the Precision bass and right now, is undergoing a real renaissance, popularity wise.

Nani
Guitar God

Post by Nani » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:33 am

Yes, the body is the same, but wouldn't a "correct" copy have no veneer maple top and certainly not a cherry sunburst finish?

I'm not saying in any way that it's a bad bass, simply that most people seeking a Fender clone would look for a plain alder body and traditional sunburst finish. I personally like the maple/cherry a bit more.

andyscott
Guitar God

Post by andyscott » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:19 pm

I agree with Nani.

I watched one on eBay very like this bass not sell and stall at a paltry ?130-140 odd. I was bidding on it but it didn't even make my highest bid.

Hang on to it, a nice bass is always a nice bass.

Thunder Bass
Plucker

Tokai Hardpuncher

Post by Thunder Bass » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 am

The variation on Tokai is truely worth a catalogue. Nice looking bass - would be great to have a photo data base (bass!)
Appreciate you posting this - it will increase our knowledge.
Best Regards, Thunder Bass

Air-Guitar
I only know 3 chords

Post by Air-Guitar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 am

After some thought I am going to sell this base, it just sits in the room looking at me like a lost child, it dosent fit in here at all, not really in to the base. thought i give Tokai fans the 1st chance to make me an offer.Image[/quote]

I have replaced the vol & tone pots & new Gold knobs, also replace dthe jack with a gold one looks good, got pics if you was intrested.

If intrested please email me at Anthony.Roome@ntlworld.com i will only reply to offers im intrested in, failing that i will put it out to the rest of the world.

Thanks

Air

Air-Guitar
I only know 3 chords

Post by Air-Guitar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Ok Im reopening this orginal thread, I am now having a clear out. not only am i selling a jackson, but have decided to part comapny with the Tokai bass, really need some help on value or a buyer / shop that might be intrested, please post here what ever help you can give. Thanks
& merry Chistmas.