Finish Question ObG's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundcreation

Reaction score
A guy over on HC forums just bought a ObG and is paranoid that it is a fake. He says he did an acetone test and nothing happened and that it is a poly guitar.

Now seeing as I own a by Gibson as well, I'm wondering if its conclusive that by Gibson Orvilles are indeed Nitro? Can someone verify this 100%? So far I've can't find anything conclusive. People just say that because they were the more pricey model they must be nitro.

Not that I'd ever get rid of my ObG, but I do like the idea of having nitro and finding out that they were poly would kind of be a bit disappointing.

I figure this will be the best place for conclusive answers.

Thanks very much!

As a general rule, I believe Orville's are Poly and Orville By Gibson's are Nitro.

Yeah thats what I thought too until this guy did the acetone test and nothing happened.

I'm wondering if anyone has conclusive proof....ie they've done acetone tests and know for sure...

Are there any other ways to test it?

I guess I'll have to do one on mine.

Anyone else know for sure?

The difference in price between the Orvilles (K Orvilles as well) and the low end Orville by Gibsons is around 15,000 to 20,000 Yen (150-200 dollars) and that difference in price is mainly due to the Gibson pickups. The high end Orville by Gibsons are a different thing. So some low end Orville by Gibsons could be poly.

Yeah here's a link to the threads.....

The most recent...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084470

The one he bought was a little strange. It had fret binding but had a "standard" truss rod cover.

Well now I'm really curious of my ObG. It feels nitro but I'm no expert.

Whats the best way to test for it? Just put a little nail polish remover on a small hidden spot? What ends up happening?

The Orville by Gibson in the Harmony Central thread is a real OBG made by Fujigen. Fujigen and Terada could have been using poly on some OBG's. I would say that Fujigen might be more inclined to use poly on some OBG's than Terada but who knows. I suppose strange stuff can happen at the factories like running low on nitro so they use poly for a few days or vice versa running low on poly so they use nitro for a few days. Maybe some Orvilles and K Orvilles are nitro. In the Yamano Gakki catalogs there is no real mention of poly or nitro finishes for the OBG's and Orvilles and the same goes for the Greco catalogs I've seen. Funny thing is that my 50,000 Yen 1979 Super Real Greco has a nitro finish when everything I've read seems to suggest it should have a poly finish.

I don't know if all nail polish removers are made from Acetone. You might need straight Acetone. Here is a thread about Greco nitro tests. http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10519&start=0

That's good to know. I hav'nt seen it in the Super Real catalogs but they are in Japanese so it's hard for me to translate. Do you know the approximate Greco model prices that they are urethane, like up to 80,000 Yen maybe?

Hum, it's very difficult to get an universal law for nitro/urethane finish on Greco guitars. I guess it depends the years, the model, etc...

For the Les Paul super real, my EG-800GS has a poly finish but EGF-850 are nitro finish if I remember well so I guess that's the shifting point.

here you can see some catalogue with the mention of the finish:
psyco.jp/greco/siryo.html

For later models, since my SAB-100 and A-100f are both urethane finish, I guess it means even some HIgh models get a urethane finish in the 90's. My FB-980 from 78 is also urethane finish.

Back