Bacchus?59 clone

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hisashi, the Bacchus BLS that I purchased from you had a long tenon, correct Gibson style head stock, 1 piece body, 1 piece neck, oil finish top in natural :D ....................

BLS-120Top1-3.jpg

BLSOut3.jpg

BLS-120tenon-1.jpg

BLSOut555-1.jpg

Hi All,

Just thought I'd jump in here and say a word on Bacchus too. I have gone through a few Tokais in my time and I have settled on my LS200 as a keeper. The others I have thought were really great until I started to see, hold and play Bacchus. These guitars are truly stunning. The workmanship on the handmade series is second to none! Their pickups and electronic are fantastic. I have an 04 G Studio QM and recently bought an ST 62 from Hisashi. The ST62 is awesome in every way. Beautiful to play, sounds amazing and built exquisitly. Bacchus is the way to go my friends. I still love Tokai but not nearly as much!

My ST62
2549825e7274545a2174316271bd8cd4623d397.jpg

2549823b7037952a8d383b0d19d3c6a72a11aec.jpg

2549822f67c76bd38062c088f962dfc18e69701.jpg

2549821ba954a8582373e1b35fecd8f26c91b7d.jpg

QuattroSte said:
Hi All,

Just thought I'd jump in here and say a word on Bacchus too. I have gone through a few Tokais in my time and I have settled on my LS200 as a keeper. The others I have thought were really great until I started to see, hold and play Bacchus. These guitars are truly stunning. The workmanship on the handmade series is second to none! Their pickups and electronic are fantastic. I have an 04 G Studio QM and recently bought an ST 62 from Hisashi. The ST62 is awesome in every way. Beautiful to play, sounds amazing and built exquisitly. Bacchus is the way to go my friends. I still love Tokai but not nearly as much!

Agreed, As far as Strats, I much more prefer Bacchus over Tokai :D

As far as quality & consistancy of build across all product lines, I give Bacchus the award for this above all other makers 8)

Thanks for jumping in QuattroSte. I have be bitten by the B-bug. It so happenes that I am thinking of buying a Bacchus BST-62. Yes the Bacchus took me by surprise. I have had a lot of very expensive "high end" USA guitars and I have not always be happy with them :( Some have been good, some less than good. :oops:

Thanks Hishashi for jumping in to. I bought a Bacchus Vintage Series J-Bass from you, it arrived yesterday. I bought it for my friend and he is very happy :lol:

Dear Mr.Throstur Ingolfur Vidisson,
Thank you very much for your enquiry.
I am glad to hear that you like the guitar.
Your guitar looks like BLS-59V HCS, not BLS-120.
I can not track it by the serial number because back then
we do not keep the record of of serial numbers.
But, we are selling this model between November 1997 to July 1999.
Should you have any additional questions, please contact me.
Best regards,
Aki Shiokawa
Deviser Co. Ltd.
Hishashi
Do you agree with Mr. Aki Shiokawa that this is a BLS-59V from 1997 - 1999?
Serial# 1002xx
Long tenon
"Gibson" headstock
Nitro laquer
17? degree headstock angle
one piece back
laminated book matched hard maple top
nickel hardware, aluminium tailpiece
http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/throsturv/?action=view&current=guitar.jpg
http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/throsturv/?action=view&current=head2.jpg
http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/throsturv/?action=view&current=neck_joint.jpg

throstur said:
It?s a dead accurate clone of a?59 LP to the smallest detail. It weights 9 lbs 7 oz. It?s handmade, 17? degree headstock angle, long neck tenon, one piece back, laminated book matched hard maple top, nickel hardware, aluminium tailpiece, excellent pickups very good sustain, beautifully handcrafted and cellulose lacquer of course. No fret end bindings (the ?59's didn?t have it I?m told).

A nice guitar but not exactly a dead accurate clone :)

No, you are probably right. Dead accurate was an overstatement. I was a little excited about it when I wrote the post. It is however a fantastic player and a very well made guitar.

I have never seen a real 1959 Burst except on pictures. However I have read much about it, seen clones, replicas and reissues, even from Gibson that are more different from the real ?59 than this guitar.

Correct me if I am wrong: As far as I know the ?59 Burst did not have fret end bindings However it seems to me that Gibson has made '59 and '57 reissue guitars with 14? headstock, fret end bindings, short tenon and more. I call it a bluff not a reissue.

You might want to research Gibsons a bit more before passing judgement. Vintage Les Paul Standard does have binding nibs, and their reissue guitars are more accurate than you give them credit for. Gibson reissues are not perfect but what you are saying is not based on facts.

Nani said:
You might want to research Gibsons a bit more before passing judgement. Vintage Les Paul Standard does have binding nibs, and their reissue guitars are more accurate than you give them credit for. Gibson reissues are not perfect but what you are saying is not based on facts.

Sorry, I said: Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you for correcting me on the nibs.
However I must tell you that I have had 8 Gibson Les Paul guitars, 5 Gibson SG guitars and 1 ES 335. I have played them all a lot and I am a big fan of Gibson guitars.
I am now sitting with my friends Gibson Limited Edition 1958 Standard in my lap. It seems to me that the headstock angle is 14? on this guitar and it has fret end bindings.

Does fret edge binding serve any purpose at all? It seems a waste of effort to me.

Mike

throstur said:
I am now sitting with my friends Gibson Limited Edition 1958 Standard in my lap. It seems to me that the headstock angle is 14? on this guitar and it has fret end bindings.

If you are not sure what specs are correct, it's probably not a good idea to level criticism. It is supposed to have binding nibs, fer feck's sake.

I did not intend to go into argument with some wise guy here. I am here for fun and to try to learn and exchange options with decent people. I have my opinions, you have yours.

However you got to me with your grumpy attitude and NIBS?and here is my opinion and my last word on your beloved Gibson's with or without NIBS!

I have a very strong opinion on the great marketing scam Gibson and Fender, the two leading names and designs in the electric guitar industry, have pulled off for the last years. Instead of dealing with their hit and miss quality control they have gone into what they call "relicing" and "Custom Shop". Grown up people trying to fake things, trying to make new things look old! Grown up people, musicians and collectors falling over backwards buying this crap for heaps of money! What they are saying to guitar players that love and cherish the timeless design of Fender and Gibson is: You can buy our low end crap for lots of money or you can buy our ?reliced custom shop hype? for loads of money! It?s really hard to believe that intelligent people are supporting this scam. No wonder that guitar players are looking at other possibilities.

Only two of the Gibson guitars I have bought were worth the money I payed for (almost). The rest was just not good guitars, dead sounding, dull, characterless stuff. All but one had some issue: twisted neck, wrong neck to body angle, wrong headstock angles, crappy electrics, falling out inlays, cracks, faulty tuners and more. This is about twenty% of guitars without any issue.

I have owned and played all kinds of guitars, I have set up and repaired hundreds of guitars, I have BUILT guitars! My favourite guitar cost me around 800USD AND I built IT MYSELF.

Nani like a good argument, don't take it personally, he wouldn't be happy if he had no-one to argue with :wink:

Hahahahah, I enjoyed this, thanks Nani :evil:

And, yes stratman323, fret end bindings are absolutely useless :evil:

throstur said:
I did not intend to go into argument with some wise guy here. I am here for fun and to try to learn and exchange options with decent people. I have my opinions, you have yours.

I am not presenting any opinions for you to argue with. I am offering you facts about guitars, in particular the presence of binding nibs being correct.

It's a small point but next thing you know that mistake gets repeated and the hype and misperception of Baccus/Navigator/Tokai as a "dead perfect clone" grows and grows without basis.

What you think about Gibson or Fender or Scientology doesn't have much to do with getting the specs and facts right before making sweeping statements about a certain brand.

I am not presenting any opinions for you to argue with. I am offering you facts about guitars, in particular the presence of binding nibs being correct.
It's a small point but next thing you know that mistake gets repeated and the hype and misperception of Baccus/Navigator/Tokai as a "dead perfect clone" grows and grows without basis.

I agree with you. There are misleading information and errors in my opening letter of this thread. I now know better, thanks to you and others here at the Forum

In view of this I am going to edit my opening letter and take out known errors to prevent misunderstanding.

Here's a lespaulforum thread showing a couple of original 50s les pauls, can't see any binding nibs:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146645

Here's a link showing several late 50s sunbursts with no binding nibs as far as I can see:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpsun.html

Why should a 50s les paul replica have binding nibs if many of the originals didn't?

Hmmmm, love the gold tops and yep.....no fret edge binding.....although they could have been refretted.... :wink: I would also like to point out the thickness of the finish on the p90 equipped goldie.......thicker than some poly ones i've seen... :eek:

Mick

Yes, my assumption that the LP,s before 1960 did not have nibs/fretend bindings was based on pictures and books I have about Gibson. My books do not show fret end bindings on any of the guitars. There are no spec sheets in the books I have, only lots of quality pictures and historic "facts" about the people involved in making these guitars, who played them and so on. Nani seems very confident about this, would be nice to know how he can be so sure. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back