Springy vs. Goldstar Timeline

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f5joe

Reaction score
OK, I've done my research on old threads and still find it difficult to sort out the real timeline between these two. Are they intended for somewhat different markets?

Would someone either sort it out or direct me to a thread that does please?

I appreciate any assistance. :D

Joe

Because of the over-quoted "lawsuits", Tokai dropped the legally dubious Springy script logo in 1983 and made Springys with the block decal. Same guitars as before, as far as I know.

For reasons that I'm not entirely clear about, though it may have been legal reasons, Tokai changed the name of their Strat copies to Goldstar Sound in 1983. The first ones were also block decal, & I wish someone would update the Registry, as this doesn't state what we have proved on here to be true - there were block decal Springys AND Goldstars.

It's generally accepted that the "new" Goldstar logo (I assume you know what I mean by that?) was introduced in 1984, though I bought one in London in December 1983. So the block decal Goldstars can't have been made for very long.

Basically, Goldstars replaced Springys - the only difference between a 1982 Springy ST50 & a 1984 Goldstar ST50 is the name.

Hope this helps?

Mike

Yes, Mike that is very helpful and was my general understanding as well.

I have seen some Goldstars advertised as early as 1981's on ebay a while back and in some old threads here. That's what's thrown me off, I think.

Lovely guitars. Thanks, Joe

f5joe said:
I have seen some Goldstars advertised as early as 1981's on ebay a while back and in some old threads here.

So have I. Either they were wrong, or everything I've seen and read was wrong!

I'll let you tell him he's wrong - I can't be bothered! Doesn't look anything like Sen Ash to me either - just standard, plain alder, which is what a Goldie should be.

Back