Pretty sure it's an st70?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mehu80

Reaction score
I've bought this tokai about 15 years ago and have always been proud how it compares to similar strats. I only recently started wonder what it's origins are. First, here's a few pictures. If dated it correctly, it's a '84 st70. There isn't a sticker on the neck but the serial number has 6 digits. Can anyone confirm if this is a correct dating?

I'm just wondering if there's anything special to it? All I know is that it plays beautifully and I wouldn't trade it cheap. I'm just curious about what it's value is, a rough estimate.

What are the numbers in the control cavity and the end of the Neck Butt??
What is stamped on the back of the pickups?

Sorry, I had really good offer and I'm selling it tomorrow so I'm not going to dismantle it. Going for a Les Paul soon. :D

Mehu80 said:
Sorry, I had really good offer and I'm selling it tomorrow so I'm not going to dismantle it. Going for a Les Paul soon. :D
Your going for a Real Guitar you mean?

Nothing wrong with the strat, I really liked it. You could make girls weep all night with it's sweet sound but the requirements of my current musical career are calling for a Les Paul. I bought it in '94 as a young boy and it cost the equivalent of ~150? in finnish marks. Sold it in two hours after I posted an ad on the net, here in Finland, and it went for 500?, so not a bad deal.

There wasn't a Goldstar ST70 as far as I know. I assume it's an ST50.

Should be an L serial number though.

Mike

. .
ST-70 in Goldstar were only made with laminated maole boards - no rosewood. Only ST-70 in Springy had rosewwod boards and they were slab.

Could be ST-40. 6 digit number and all . . .

regards
Peter Mac

Could be ST-40. 6 digit number and all

Peter--with all respect, I don't think it could possibly be a TST-40--look at the tuners! TST-40s had a lower range of (non-Kluson type) tuners, and ceramic pickups (flat pole magnets), and I believe the pickups on these look like they're alnico (staggered pole).

It would have been instructive to know which model pickups were inside--that might determine the difference between TST-50 and TST-60, but I don't see any evidence to support it being a TST-70 (was there even such a thing?--not present in catalogues). I think I'm with stratman in assuming TST-50, or more likely TST-55 given it's a custom colour and present in the catalogues.
________
Yamaha Rt1

Yeah I was just going to correct myself - the colour means it would be an ST55. I don't understand why anyone would think it was a 40 or a 70.

Yep, sure have, and it still has the sticker on it as well..... :wink:
hnwr5kn-img600x450-1211196183tz8tgw.jpg

Mick

But that's a Springy, of course. Doesn't mean there was a Goldstar ST70 - there's no mention of an ST70 in the 1985 catalogue.

I also have a Goldie that has a 6-digit serial, and therefore according to the identification guide would be an ST-70, but it is clearly an ST-50, going by the spec:

Black finish
Veneer type RWB
3-pc body
Final Prospec saddles, STB & deluxe tuners
"II V" (Vintage II) pickups

Nothing here to suggest anything other than a stock ST-50, except, of course, the 6-digit serial on the neckplate. Probably another case of Tokai using up spare neckplates, or just running out of L-stamped ones during a production run (did somebody suggest this earlier, or was that in a different thread?).

I suppose this adds a bit of curiosity value to the guitar, but no material value - it's an ST-50 by spec.

I'm thinking about selling it at the moment, and if I do, I won't be advertising it as an ST-70, though I'm sure some sellers would! :wink:

blake375 said:
Probably another case of Tokai using up spare neckplates, or just running out of L-stamped ones during a production run (did somebody suggest this earlier, or was that in a different thread?).

I have seen a few RW board Goldies for sale with 6 digit serials, but that otherwise looked like ordinary ST50s. Since serial numbers were just decoration on Goldies (i.e. they didnt help to date them) I don't imagine that Tokai would have worried too much if a few RW ones went out without an L number.

Latest posts

Back