• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

TOKAI LOVE ROCK LS-120 - JAPAN VINTAGE 1981 Fully Original!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice photography. Just lovely to look at. Does it come with pickguard and case? It looks a bit like one Villager had at one point.

Hello,

Yes it comes with the original pickguard. No original hard case.

I'm sorry I do not know who is Villager.

Thank you.

Of course ;)

Long tenon.

tokai001bd3.jpg

Sorry mate but that is no long tenon. That is only a route, the tenon stops at the start of the pickup cavity. This is a long tenon, same cavity but the neck fills it up.
1ea2_121.jpg

Mick

I didn't take off all the glue and varnish, it is quiet a bit thick... But it's larger...

Not a long tenon for both of you, except marcusnieman :wink:

Another long tenon:
longtenonfo1.jpg

still shorter than supra :lol:

woah, interesting stuff..!

it'd be nice to see the neck/body seam inside the cavity on flares gtr, that's where it's easier to tell if it's a route or if the neck extends in?

what were the other 2 gtrs you guys posted pics of?

cheers

Medium or long , the point was that the LS 120 does not have a long tenon. Actually the "120" has what i would describe as a "medium" tenon because if you look at the gibson standards, their tenon doesn't even reach the pickup cavity and has a little piece of wood in front ofit so you can't see how poorly done it is. As far as i'm concerned if the tenon protudes into the pickup cavity then it is a long tenon and that is how these guitars are sold. And Flare, it is common knowledge these earlier Tokai's had the "medium" tenon.

Hi Marcus, just love those "Edwards" tenons....they are very well done.

Mick

here's a detail shot of a 1981 LS-120 Love Rock tenon.
Notice the glue residue at the base of the tenon, which indicates that the tenon is only slightly longer than the fingerboard.
In other words, the tenon goes no further than the neck side of the pickup route.
The very bottom surface of the tenon route in the body, is below the pickup route surface, with no tenon material filling this void whatsoever.
It is as if Tokai made this huge route for basically nothing, which is pretty much the case.
The neck tenon extends no more than 1/8 inch past the neck binding.
I would call this a 'neck length tenon', the same as on all of my Burny RLGs.
LS-120Tenondetail.jpg

Glue bubbles/residue at the base of the tenon; tenon ends right there :wink:
LS-120TenondetailCLOSE.jpg

leadguitar_323 said:
Medium or long , the point was that the LS 120 does not have a long tenon. Actually the "120" has what i would describe as a "medium" tenon because if you look at the gibson standards, their tenon doesn't even reach the pickup cavity and has a little piece of wood in front ofit so you can't see how poorly done it is. As far as i'm concerned if the tenon protudes into the pickup cavity then it is a long tenon and that is how these guitars are sold. And Flare, it is common knowledge these earlier Tokai's had the "medium" tenon.

Mick

Call it as you want, it will not change the sound in any way ;)

ps: I have been building guitars myself for about 15 years (about 200 guitars, basses, violins...) I know very well what s a long tenon... I have over 40 guitars here, so believe I know what it is... ;)

Anyway, I took off all the glue and cleaned up everything and it appears the wood is marked all around the route, but not deeply. There is no long tenon as you said, my mistake ;)

But, never say never... Some LS-120 can have long tenon, there are always exceptions especially from a large scale factory's production... ;)

All Edwards are CNC cut, body, neck, everything... But again, it doesn't change anything that much.

hey, thx for the pics guys

I have an '81 LS60 as well, am familiar with that models neck construction, wasn't sure how different the LS120 etc were

so tokai basically is faking the old gibson long tenon look with that route

regardless, they are great instruments, and are well made. especially on the body, I like how they drill the channels out, oldschool, instead of the ugly routing gibson uses now--->which also removes a boatload of wood from the body! not to mention weight relieving holes etc )

anyway, I would be more worried about the current gibson standards where you CAN'T see the workmanship at all, as MIJvintage pointed out

cheers

bolero said:
woah, interesting stuff..!

it'd be nice to see the neck/body seam inside the cavity on flares gtr, that's where it's easier to tell if it's a route or if the neck extends in?

what were the other 2 gtrs you guys posted pics of?

cheers
Yep...., 'long tenons' (OBG LPs, ES335 and Dove):

01.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Not sure if it makes a whole lot of difference in the sound (sustain) because others I've got are medium tenons and some stop at the pu cavity wall and they all sound good. Looks cool though and is historically accurate for some old original gibsons.

Yes it is a long tenon. If you think it looks like an add on, they are routed after the neck is fitted and quite often there is a small lip near the "tongue" comes from the thicker part of the neck.

Mick

Latest posts

Back