Jazz Sound: Authentic?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabbytiger

Reaction score
i'm looking for info on a Tokai Jazz Sounds bass i'm about to buy on Ebay.
I want to make sure it's authentic before i go through with it. I can't find any Tokai basses online that look like it, with the maple neck...and there's apparently no serial #. I've been reading about the Canadian or Korean made 'Fakai'. Is this one?
Any help would be great....here's some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250252700&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:1123

thanks,
JP

crabbytiger said:
i'm looking for info on a Tokai Jazz Sounds bass i'm about to buy on Ebay.
I want to make sure it's authentic before i go through with it. I can't find any Tokai basses online that look like it, with the maple neck...and there's apparently no serial #. I've been reading about the Canadian or Korean made 'Fakai'. Is this one?
Any help would be great....here's some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250252700&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:1123

thanks,
JP

Looks like you bought it...... a few things don't look right to me:

Black block fret position markers
Jazz Bass script on headstock
Headstock shape looks a bit odd

The neck wood looks very light, very much like my Korean 2000 Squier Precision and not at all like my 84 Tokai or my 93 MIJ Fender basses.
And considering that logo is supposed to be pre 83... I'd say fake.

/Magnus

No problem Crabbytiger :)
Also it seems to be missing the very characteristic clouding of the chromed parts, although I'm not sure if all late 70's-early 80's Tokais fall victim to this?

/Magnus

marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:
I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd. :eek:

Mike

You disagree with me? :eek: I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right. :wink:

No, you said it looked a bit odd. I think it looks very odd. A difference of emphasis, that's all :wink:

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:
I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd. :eek:

Mike

You disagree with me? :eek: I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right. :wink:

No, you said it looked a bit odd. I think it looks very odd. A difference of emphasis, that's all :wink:

As they say, "it's the thought that counts", "like minds think alike", etc......

The headstock looks extremely very peculiarly odd.

That's three feeble minds thinking alike now. :)

Original body, nasty fake neck. Someone's fallen in love with the real Tokai neck and put it on their favourite body. They have a beard, a limp, and an aunty called Betty who passed away in 1984.

That's my 40 odd years of experience talking.

None of them in Tokai basses or psychic matters, though - does that make a difference? :D

Latest posts

Back