Is it great idea to buy Silver Star?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matteo

Reaction score
Hello.
In the beggining - sorry for my English. I know it's bad.
I'm thinking about getting Silver Star (SS-48, 1983 - as seller said and as I see by headstock). Is it worth 850$ (~570E)? At the moment, I have a Blade California Standard (2005) - it's good guitar, but I want something with SSS, and Gilmour-look :wink: What would you do? Do you think is there any risk that Silver Star, would be worse than my Blade?

Matteo

Hi, well it depends where you are. It helps to enter your location in your profile - guitar prices vary from one country to another, and several countries use the dollar........

It would also help to see details of the guitar you are looking at - do you have a link to the details, or to some pics?

But..... 570 euros sounds like a lot to me.

Mike

I think, that my location didn't say antyhing :wink: I live in Poland
here's some picks:
http://www.sugarhigh.home.pl/HR/gity/ele/tokaisilbl/1big.jpg
http://www.sugarhigh.home.pl/HR/gity/ele/tokaisilbl/6big.jpg
http://www.sugarhigh.home.pl/HR/gity/ele/tokaisilbl/7big.jpg
http://www.sugarhigh.home.pl/HR/gity/ele/tokaisilbl/3big.jpg

I agree with Marcus. The going rate for a SS in the UK is around ?250 - ?300 would be a top end price. So, translate that into Euros & you can see that it's expensive. We have a few SS fans in different parts of Europe who will be able to comment on prices in their countries too.

They're good guitars, but be patient. 8)

But, please tell me - what quality I can expect from average SS-48? Is it better than Fender MiM? than my Blade California Standard? how it can be compared to Fender Am.?

edit:

but be patient

Of course - I'm very patient :)

I write that price, because I found this offer in one of the shops in Poland - so I can go there and play before buy, but i'm not sure, if it's worth bother (the shop is located about 400km from my town - I'm lazy :p )

I suppose, that it's quite expensive, because that shop buy vintage-japan guitars (e.g. on ebay) and re-sell them in PL. :roll: so they also want to earn some money.

If you want the Gilmour look you want a Goldstar '57 copy. As for your original questions I dont think a SS48 would be much better quality than your Blade, if at all, and certainly not worth anywhere near that asking price.

Keep your eyes peeled for a black & maple goldstar for around 400 euros, definetely better than a Mex strat and comparable in quality to a USA Fender.

John has just said what I was going to say. For me, a Goldstar is streets ahead of anything else you can get for the money, much better than anything coming out of Mexico, & comparable to many US Standard Strats. Some people on here think that Silver Stars are as good, I'm not so sure, but I've only ever tried one.

Gilmour didn't play a 70s Strat with the large headstock did he? I thought he was a pre-CBS Strat man? I know he owns Strat no 1, though apparently it wasn't the first one made, despite the serial number.

Gilmour didn't play a 70s Strat with the large headstock did he? I thought he was a pre-CBS Strat man?

Maybe. I'm not keen on Gilmour equipment. It was just example - it means that I'm looking for a black guitar, with black pickguard, pots and maple freatboard (I even prefer large headstock over small) - but of course the most important thing is to have a great sounding (not looking) guitar.

Keep your eyes peeled for a black & maple goldstar for around 400 euros, definetely better than a Mex strat and comparable in quality to a USA Fender.

So, that's the answer for my question :)

You would need to buy a black pickguard and pickup covers if that's the look you wanted.

If you prefer the big headstock a Silverstar SS80 might be better for you, that will be Fender USA quality, but finding one won't be easy!

Except that a Goldstar will have a white scratchplate & small headstock - if it's a maple board model, it will be copy of a 50s Strat.

A Silver Star will have the large headstock, 3 bolt neck join & usually a black scratchplate - a 70s Strat copy.

Your money - your choice

Except that a Goldstar will have a white scratchplate & small headstock - if it's a maple board model, it will be copy of a 50s Strat.

Yes. You're right. But small headstock is not that bad, and I can always replace scratchplate/pickups :wink: As I said - I need really great sounding guitar. Thanks all for advices! :)

My SS-48 is on the way from Japan right now and I guess the all inclusive price will land at around ?285. I'm very eager to find out how these guitars are although I'm prepared to swap the pickups out for something better- Custom 69's perhaps?

/Magnus

My second Silverstar arrived yesterday, I like them alot.

For not much money its a great guitar, going for a third soon...

982tokaicbssilverstarblry4.jpg

Here's a pic of the first one:

01.jpg

Nice choice - black with rosewood & white with maple. Black with maple just looks wrong to me. Good job we're all different I suppose.

Latest posts

Back