Help with Tokai Goldstar Sound Strat!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadpj

Reaction score
I have a mint condition maple neck black goldstar strat serial number 18089.With original tweed case.

Trying to get an idea as to how much it is worth?

Thanks in advance :D :D :D

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02709.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

Well lets see if this works :D

Yes, its a nice one!! I would say its probably worth aroung $800 AUD, but if you wanted to sell it fast maybe closer to 700

Yep, looks like a nice one, complete with the 50 stamp on the back of the neck - most of these were peeled off over the years. With a case you would probably get ?300 to ?350 at UK prices.

So they originally came with a tweed case? That's news to me. Is it stamped Tokai anywhere?

Mike

Thanks for the help :D

I`m guessing it` about an `84 then?

And could anyone tell me the differences between the Springy and Goldstar`s?

Btw: I also have an `80`s Tokai Explorer that I will put photos up as soon as I can because I can`t seem to find anything much about it?

Thanks,

Pete

84 or 85, I would say, unless distribution was different in Australia, which I doubt. Photos of the pickups might possibly enable us to narrow that down, if you feel like removing the scratchplate, but it hardly matters really. It looks like a typical 84/5 Goldie.

Springys were Tokai's first proper vintage copy Strat, & they were made from 78 to 82. They had the decal that looked exactly like Fender's from a few feet away, and this was one of the many things that led to the over-quoted lawsuits.

133_3362.jpg

133_3355.jpg

In 83 Tokai switched to a block decal (look in the Registry for details), and in late 83/early 84 they brought out the Goldstar, with a decal that was a less blatant copy of Fender's. There is little, if any, difference between an 82 Springy ST50 and an 84 Goldie ST50. They do seem to have used ash more for the bodies on higher model Springys, whereas Goldies were alder, and the pickups changed a little over the years, and depending on the models, but Springys and Goldies are fundamentally the same.

You tend to pay an extra ?100 or so for a Springy, partly because the cooler decal makes them more desirable, partly because Goldies seem far more common - they seem to have made an awful lot of Goldies (mainly ST50s) in a couple of years around 84/85. So Goldies are likely to always be worth less, even though they are just as good. The best value Strats you can buy, as I have said many times.

I joined the forum myself to find the answer to that very question, so I'm happy to pass on what other people on here kindly taught me.

:p

Latest posts

Back