SG75 coming soon

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex gold guns

Reaction score
Hello all. well I've finally pulled the trigger on a SG75 and can't wait for it to arrive (end of this week). Ive read alot of the posts here on them and you guys who have them seem to love them, being a lefty you don't see many around either so I'm so looking forward to this great moment. I'll tell you what I think and post some pics of it then.. so... until that time!!!

Congratulations! I have a soft-spot for SG's, great guitars! Be sure to post some pics and a review when it arrives :D

-Well it arrived - ..........with a lovely crack round the back of the neck (where the neck meets the body) BOO!. I ordered it with a Tokai hard case but the guitar has room to move inside so this is probably responsible for the crack. Anyone else had this problem with Tokai cases? I'm dealing with the matter noe and trting to get a replacement. - keep you guys informed. It is lovely tho- nice ebony finish, such a shame the case didn't protect it enough.

Not again! We had an example several months ago of a broken headstock on an SG which was shipped without a case - it was painful to see the pics. I never thought we would hear about one that was broken in a case.

:cry:

Delicate creatures, SGs. Bad luck mate - I hope the insurance covers it fully. Clearly lots of bubble wrap around the headstock is necessary with Gibson copies.

Mike

After recieving the SG its made me a bit paraniod - are the neck joints that weak that they break this easily?? I have a guitar stand that accomidates 5 guitars, its the cradle type that supports the guitar body and the back of the heel but not the neck - will an SG be okay in this?

it'll be fine in that rack. The neck / headstock join is fragile on ALL Gibson style guitars because of the headstock angle and the tension of the strings. One good knock on it and pow.

Were your strings tight / tuned when it arrived or were they loose?

they were tuned, it didn't break at the headstock, it broke on the neck/body join - this is what I'm worried about, it seems there is too much movement in the tokai SG cases

Neck / body join? Sounds like some postal / delivery guy dropped it on the headstock end and it jammed the neck ino the body. It's not going to happen from lateral movement.

Still with the strings tuned, you're asking for trouble. The amount of torque placed upon the entire neck is sizeable - it takes a trussrod to keep it straight. Might make a surviveable knock a broken neck. I'd certainly let the seller know about that.

I know they're painful pics to look at, but it might be informative for us all if you could post some pics of the break. As Marcus said, a typical Gibson type break is on the neck/headstock join, not on the neck/body join. I wonder if the joint was unusually weak? It's worrying if it was.

_ sorry I can't upoad any images because you can't upload images from PC onto this forum.[/code][/list]

You need to use a free hosting site like www.photobucket.com Load the pics on there, then copy the links on here.

8)

stratman323 said:
Not again! We had an example several months ago of a broken headstock on an SG which was shipped without a case - it was painful to see the pics. I never thought we would hear about one that was broken in a case.

:cry:

Delicate creatures, SGs. Bad luck mate - I hope the insurance covers it fully. Clearly lots of bubble wrap around the headstock is necessary with Gibson copies.

Mike

Here's the link to my ordeal that Mike alluded to...

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10016&highlight=&sid=2bae0b87b7755536fe5b02627a07f5ba

Best of luck with your replacement. Byt the way, I upgraded to a SG-155 when I got my replacement. The case fit snugly but the neck support was cut off-centre so the right side of the headstock makes contack with the case. Not a big deal unless it gets dropped some day. I'll be replacing the case with something sturdier soon.

Jason

Here's the break on the SG

IMG_0410.jpg

Latest posts

Back