Goldtops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new goldtop these days. I have yet to decide if I'm going for a Gibson LP Deluxe or a Tokai of some sort. The only concern I have is the quality of the goldtop finish.

It may be just the pictures, but the Tokai ones seems more copper-ish than the Gibsons ones? Am I correct, or is this just bollocks? How's the Goldtop finish compared to the LS85s to the more expensive LS160S (not sure about the number).

Any thoughts?

The nitro finished Tokais like the LS160/165 and my 1980 LS80 are definetely coppery in colour, when they age they get a very slight green tint. The Gibson historics are like this too. Most of the poly finished GT's I've see, Epi's, Greco, Burny etc are TOO gold IMO they look a bit cheap & nasty.

marcusnieman said:
How bout one these from forum member togps

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11400
I'm not sure if I want a wrap-around.

I think some of the Tokais looks too coppery. Take a look at this for example. Coppery, but still a Goldtop.

7ee5_12.JPG

Lighting plays a big role in how a color reads - particularly a metal flake finish like on a goldtop or car for that matter.

Incandescent light bulbs emit more warm spectrum colors (reds, orange, yellow, etc), flourescent lighting casts more blues, white - it's more harsh. Natural light is warm but balanced.

What Tokai models have Nitro, and which have Poly?

It's impossible to know, it says different things everywhere.

Can you see much difference in these two pics? I can. I own both of these and the colors shown here fairly represent the "real" color.

Gibson 2006 R7:

JoeR7GT008a.jpg

Tokai LS-80 from 1981:

TokaiLS-80GT005a-1.jpg

f5joe said:
Can you see much difference in these two pics? I can. I own both of these and the colors shown here fairly represent the "real" color.

Gibson 2006 R7:

JoeR7GT008a.jpg

Tokai LS-80 from 1981:

TokaiLS-80GT005a-1.jpg

Both are really nice but I like the Gibson color better. Deeper, richer hue from what I can see in the pics. The Tokai looks a bit faded........but then again, it's considerably older.

The Gibson one has a waaay better finish than the Tokai one.
The Tokai one looks a bit cheap to be honest.

I've got an Ls 75 (2007) and I was quite fussy about the quality of the gold finish. The Korean and chinese ones have a glitter type finish that looks kinda cheap. Mine has a lovely rich gold finish not too coppery and not too pale. I'll post some pics

The color on my new (nitro finished) LS160S looks almost identical to a '00 R7 I compared it to. It's probably a bit lighter but just a tiny little bit. Could be the age difference. You probably won't find two goldtops from different aeras that look absolutely identical and noone knows what a 50s goldtop looked like when it was new. To me the color looks right ... much better than on a poly finished Epi for example.

Don't judge these by the photo's, i have heaps of pics of my guitars and the colour looks different in each one...... gotta see them first hand to see what they really look like.
1.jpg

My goldtop is a custom order and is a little different again in colour.

Mick

Gibson, itself, has been changing their goldtop color formulas over the last five years. There is what I'd call "considerable" differences amongst different years.

The Tokai is a darkback while my R7 has the natural finished back.

alexg said:
I've got an Ls 75 (2007) and I was quite fussy about the quality of the gold finish. The Korean and chinese ones have a glitter type finish that looks kinda cheap. Mine has a lovely rich gold finish not too coppery and not too pale. I'll post some pics

The size of the metal flakes has alot to do with it. The bigger the flake, the more of a bass boat or bowling ball kind of appearance - usually the sign of a cheap goldtop. Also the larger flakes take up more volume in the paint mix like filler - again, cheaper formula.

Can someone clear this up for me. Every site says something different?

Does Tokai LS85S/95S have Nitro or Poly?

What about LS160S?

A Goldtop must have a great finish which ages correctly.

I bought my LS 65 goldtop brand new last year, only is this not called LS 65 anymore with Tokai's mad numbering system is this an LS 85? 75?

Latest posts

Back