Billy Gibbons playing Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
TEX said:
IBy the way, ZZ's next project is being produced by Rick Rubin and has been described as being quite country-heavy.

Oh dear. :( So like the rather strange first album, then?

:-?

Probably their most underrated album and possibly only inferior to Tres Hombres and Deguello. The live DVD just released emphasises what an omission it is that there isn't a DVD on the market that captured them at the height of their powers. A living legend who could squeeze a few more miles out of the tank if he shaved again.

Here's another little gem from Billy - a little blues lesson on his Gretsch Billy Bo. His tone just slays me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wNfmpYrb8

voyager said:
stratman323 said:
TEX said:
IBy the way, ZZ's next project is being produced by Rick Rubin and has been described as being quite country-heavy.

Oh dear. :( So like the rather strange first album, then?
:-?
Probably their most underrated album and possibly only inferior to Tres Hombres and Deguello.

Voyager, allow me to welcome you to Texas anytime you wish, brother. That underrated greatness of First Album, Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres, etc. just might be recaptured in the next release, as my hopes lead me. Producer Rick Rubin has a flair for stripping things down to their naked essentials, and although we often associate the Reverend with that famous fuzz, a rather clean (equally rich) tone is featured in those early ZZ albums. Mark my words, I have high hopes for that next release, whatever form it might take.

TEX said:
Producer Rick Rubin has a flair for stripping things down to their naked essentials, and although we often associate the Reverend with that famous fuzz, a rather clean (equally rich) tone is featured in those early ZZ albums. Mark my words, I have high hopes for that next release, whatever form it might take.

Hi Tex, and thanks, one day I might make it over there for a fine Texas style BBQ! I am familiar with Rick Rubin's work so, like you, I have high hopes for something lean and mean! 8)

TEX said:
That underrated greatness of First Album, Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres, etc. just might be recaptured in the next release, as my hopes lead me.

Rio Grande Mud was an excellent album, IMHO. I'm afraid that the first album sounded to me like a band who hadn't yet made up their minds who they were - strange countryish songs that just didn't suit them. But clearly some of you don't agree with me on that!

Rubin did a nice job with Johnny Cash - Delia's Gone is one of the best songs Cash ever recorded. Dark, but almost tongue in cheek at the same time.

8)

JohnA said:
f5joe said:
Here's a non-photoshopped picture of the Reverend with a Tokai:

http://freenet-homepage.de/bluezz_bastardzz/billy_gibbons_marshall_tokai_ad.jpg

All hail the Reverend. A moment of silence please. :lol: :wink:

I don't think that's photoshopped, I'm sure I've seen that before and Billy stuck the 'Tokai' over the top of 'Gibson' as a prank.
Here's the story why you have seen that photo before and how that picture came into possession of the Tokai Registry:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3809

I hosted it on my band homepage, so that Ned's server traffic is not used up, as it is also available in the Registry ads section. It is not photoshopped and was probably taken for a Marshall ad around 1996 when Tokai gave Billy Gibbons this copy of the Peter Green Burst during a tour through Europe (see the same thread).

By the way, if you would like to see some clips from the famous 1980 Rockpalast show in Essen, Germany, I found five of them on MyspaceTV and embedded them in our Bluezz Bastardzz Myspace profile (zzee my zzig): "La Grange", "Waitin' for the bus", "Jesus just left Chicago", "Fool for your stockings" and "Precious and grace". It's not the Tokai of course, but his original '59 "Pearly Gates" Les Paul. But I'm using my Tokai LS60 with the Mesa Boogie Mark IIB in the black&white clip of "Thunderbird" on the same page. :wink:

I did the post with the taped over headstock from the Jools Holland show.
Not photoshop.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7924&highlight=

The original picture link is dead now but I think the picture settebello posted is one I captured from video.

Not photoshop, Billy did it.

Check this shot of the same Love Rock featured in the YouTube clips of Brown Sugar, Jailhouse Rock, and La Grange within this thread...
I suppose the Reverend decided to have a little fun with those that kept asking questions about the make of that fine, screamin' plank. Oh well, you know what it is!
TokaiQuestion.jpg

QuestHeadstock.jpg

voyager said:
Probably their most underrated album and possibly only inferior to Tres Hombres and Deguello.

Why is underrated Tres Hombres? It contains La Grange, one of zztop most famous songs!

A friend reminded me yesterday that when Eliminator was released, it broke a long run of ZZ albums with Spanish names. Billy was asked by a reporter about this, and he replied that they had considered calling the album El Iminator....

:p

stratman323 said:
A friend reminded me yesterday that when Eliminator was released, it broke a long run of ZZ albums with Spanish names. Billy was asked by a reporter about this, and he replied that they had considered calling the album El Iminator....

Unfortunately, Iminator doesn't have any meaning in spanish, perhaps "El inminente" or "El indecente" would have worked. :D

I like better ZZTop 70's era and then the late Antenna and ahead.

BTW, what are exactly the Tokai models Gibbons play? LS320 the one with humbuckers?

Latest posts

Back