Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which FX for me??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobK
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Which FX for me?? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Play in two ocassional bands. Punk one and a classic rock one. I use either a burny LP or Yamaha SG through a Marshall AVT with additional speaker. Tone is OK and good enough for me. For some years I have used a tonelab, but...its heavy, im lazy, I could never get the exact tone I wanted and it has so many damm buttons. I just want to simplify!

I simply want that fat rock sound, (Steve Jones tone is OK by me) with a button to kick for fatter loader deeper sound for my hopeless solos. (Hope that makes sense!)

Yes...how long is a piece of string...but recommendations for something simple, easy etc?
BobK
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was a complicated question!!!
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask 100 people 'which distortion pedal' and you'll get as many answers, I have a Keeley DS-1(very metal), a BBE green screamer(very SRV) and a ?18 Daphon overdrive which sits between the two and sounds great IMO.

I would suggest trying some out at your local guitar shop, it's a very personal thing.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS9 or TS808) Not distortion but overdrive - big difference.

Probably rated as one of the "must have" pedals if you want something basic and with balls.
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's right, it's very personal. I have a TS9 Tubescreamer, which is good, but also a Boss OD2 Turbo Overdrive. While the Ibanez has the edge, the Boss does have a turbo function which boosts the overdrive to a higher level - too much for me. But it might be useful in a punk band.

Mike
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to hijack the thread for a sec...
How old are your Tubescreamers?
I've got an original TS9(that i've left to Mick in my will...watch him hire a hitman now)...does anyone have a reissue?...or,god forbid, the newest incarnation?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:
Just to hijack the thread for a sec...
How old are your Tubescreamers?
I've got an original TS9(that i've left to Mick in my will...watch him hire a hitman now)...does anyone have a reissue?...or,god forbid, the newest incarnation?

I had an original TS808 from the late 70's I bought with my first electric guitar. Don't know what happened to either......

I have a TS9 now from the late 90's
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how old mine is, I bought it off eBay a year or two ago. I didn't know age made a difference to a simple metal box with a few transistors inside.

How do I tell how old it is?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
I don't know how old mine is, I bought it off eBay a year or two ago. I didn't know age made a difference to a simple metal box with a few transistors inside.

How do I tell how old it is?

All you ever wanted to know:

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more than I wanted to know actually! Looks like mine's a re-issue (CE), but it has the earlier type of battery cover, so not quite sure what it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: