Billy Gibbons playing Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudu

Reaction score
http://forums.rgc.ro/index.php?showtopic=25906&view=findpost&p=254189

Found these on mylespaul.com, thought of sharing :)

To be fair, Billy F. Gibbons buys guitars by the shed load (almost literally), so it would be amazing if he didn't own several Tokais. I did read an interview where he was talking about doing an extreme form of chambering on a couple of LPs - taking the maple top off, hollowing out most of the mahogany, then putting the top back. Whether he used Gibsons for this experiment I don't know.

I guess if your name is Gibbons, having something very similar like Gibson written on the headstock must be cool - almost like a personally made guitar.

Mike

:wink:
billyg.jpg

Volker

Here's a non-photoshopped picture of the Reverend with a Tokai:

http://freenet-homepage.de/bluezz_bastardzz/billy_gibbons_marshall_tokai_ad.jpg

All hail the Reverend. A moment of silence please. :lol: :wink:

f5joe said:
Here's a non-photoshopped picture of the Reverend with a Tokai:

http://freenet-homepage.de/bluezz_bastardzz/billy_gibbons_marshall_tokai_ad.jpg

All hail the Reverend. A moment of silence please. :lol: :wink:

I don't think that's photoshopped, I'm sure I've seen that before and Billy stuck the 'Tokai' over the top of 'Gibson' as a prank.

We're a funny lot aren't we? The guy wears a weird hat like that, & all we can comment on is what it says on his guitar!

:lol:

stratman323 said:
We're a funny lot aren't we? The guy wears a weird hat like that, & all we can comment on is what it says on his guitar!

Agreed. However, Rev. G can do anything he wants as far as I'm concerned.

I lost the pics I had in a crash computer because a virus. It was 1998/99 and a friend took some photos on ZZTOP concert we attended. I remind Billy G. played a high end Tokai so I just scanned the photos and put more resolution and bigger size and...voila! There it was a fantastic Tokai Love Rock........

I also must sing the praises of the Reverend. Being a spoiled resident of Austin, TX, we get to see Mr. Gibbons from time to time just dropping by local clubs to catch some good solid country music when he's in town (Redd Volkaert plays the Continental Club weekly-if you're not familiar, check him for some serious tele work). Anyway, I wish I'd had a camera handy as B.G. took the small stage for a few country standards. Sorry, but no Love Rock was to be seen. I'd almost hesitate to show the man my own collection, in that he might be moved to add to his more-than-full warehouse of everything under the sun. The cool thing being, he sits around with the rest of us plain old simple folk, just soaking up the music. No need to bother the man, you can just feel that cool-vibe simply in his presence. By the way, ZZ's next project is being produced by Rick Rubin and has been described as being quite country-heavy. Get ready for a big dose of Texas, y'all!
1-gibbons.jpg

TEX said:
IBy the way, ZZ's next project is being produced by Rick Rubin and has been described as being quite country-heavy.

Oh dear. :( So like the rather strange first album, then?

:-?

f5joe said:
Agreed. However, Rev. G can do anything he wants as far as I'm concerned.

I'll second that.

He is so laid back he is horizontal.

Fantastic player regardless of what genre of music he plays. I think the hat is the dogs bollox. :D

Donkey Oaty said:
I think the hat is the dogs bollox. :D

I wondered where he got it from - that would explain the strange shape!

It's true though, he's one of the few players who almost nobody will disrespect - blues fans, rock fans, pop fans alike. That's very rare in the music world.

The clearest video I have seen of him using a Tokai in 1996, see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRJZJVcMgo&feature=related

By the way, the Goldtop he is using on the Joolz Holland Show is a single P90 guitar with wrap around bridge, so what do we really think that is ? a 50s Gibson ?

Back