Dumble tone-meister The 'Yin-Yang-Drive'

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevcaster

Reaction score
Hi Thought I would let you in on something I came across on the German eBay.

A guy calling himself Phagus-Online is making O/drives similar to the Hermida Zendrive. I do not know if they are direct clones but it seems they are close. I have heard the Zendrive (not played one) and this comes close - actually it may be a little more clear. They both get close to the infamous and elusive 'Dumble' tone typical of Robben Ford's recordings

I bid on it to have a play and really took a chance, I lost at Euros107 but he offered me a second unit for 100, so I took it. Arrived today and it is terrific!!!!!!!!! Very well made internally - home made stickers but nicely done. Red hammer finish with blue knobs (like fulltone)

It has 4 controls - at least 2 too many for me - all seem to inter-act, and dynamically, so dialling in what you need is a lengthy affair. Once you get close then small tweaks make a difference but stay in the same ball park so I guess that is good.

I am still finding out about it and will post some clips in due course, I am liking this unit a lot and have been able to find several sweet spots in about an hour pf playing - it has a wide spread from just-drive to full on overdrive. It will not get near to my Keeley Fuzz Head for real 'fuzz' but then it is not a Fuzz (I know that some say the Fuzz Head is not a real Fuzz, some other day). Like the Keeley it levels out the string dynamics and is additionally useful in that respect - giving treble strings a boost.

I've been playing it through a Tele set up with Strat pickups neck and middle and a TV Jones in the bridge

See this link for the original eBay listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280234506409&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Actually I'm more interested in your Tele - do you have any pics? I converted my 80s MIJ Tele in the early 90s, & I still reckon a Tele with Strat neck & middle pickups is one of the most useful guitars you can have.

Mike

Hi

Here is a link to the guitar pics
http://www.kevinyates.com/tcg/

It has evolved over several iterations - Twin Humbuckers to what you see know. I was gigging with a guy who played a Les Paul and so I decided to switch from HB to Strat sounds to create some sonic space between us.

I like the Tele controls more than Strat - I could easily bypass the tone - I never use it. I find my Tokai ES 130 a handful and never use the tone controls and get a bit confused over the twin volumes - At home I do find them interesting to play around with but a gigs I would prefer a single volume and selector switch - is this heresy?[/img]

It's not heresy, it's just a matter of opinion. Personally I do use the tone control (with a .022 cap) to roll off some of the highs on many numbers. But then again, the thing I like most about a Tele is the one thing you don't have on yours - that amazing Tele bridge pickup, which I love.

Me & humbuckers don't really get on very well... :-?

I agree with you about twin volume controls being confusing though - the only knobs a guitar needs are master volume & master tone, IMHO.

I agree with you about the Tele bridge pickup I have a real Tele, I don't gig with it as it is a 74 and has squealing pickups that are just too wayward to play at high volumes - we dont mike up - it's a pity. I am reluctant to fool with them (potting etc) a they sound so fab at other volumes.

This guitar is a great example of the opportunity that faced Mr Tokai. The build quality is awful - neck is actually out of alignment, bridge wonky, poly finish that would protect an oil rig. As a 74 it benefits from what must have been the tail end of the light Alder bodies and Maple necks - mine is a featherweight. Pots and wiring not original - pots were worn out and replaced by cheap alternatives, frets were replaced by the previous owner, possibly with a monkey wrench and ******* file. I had it re-wired with a Fender 4 way and new CTS pots and original spec wiring, re-fret - it sings nicely, very sweet.

If I could only have oone guitar it would be a Tele.

I had the pickups from my 88 Strat wax potted by the guy at Shed pickups. It didn't cost very much, and doesn't seem to have changed the tone at all, just stopped the microphony (if that's the word).

I was never a fan of 70s Fenders, & your description of yours hasn't exactly changed my mind! I think I'll stick to 80s stuff.

8)

heh, same thing happened to me, I was outbid but he sold me one after the auction anyway. :) I figured if it's that good now was the time to jump in. If it's not for me then my brother will have it, he's a Ford fan.

http://www.kevinyates.com/music/Bb%20blues%201.mp3

Here is sound file recorded with my Kevcaster - neck to bridge pickup selections

Hi Andy - How are you getting on with that pedal - any pointers to share? As you see from above I usually stay clear of too many knobs to twiddle, the four on this one are a bit daunting. I am currently finding the sweet spot at
Voice and tone at 1 - 2 o'clock gain at 12 and vol to suit.

Clip sounds good. :) I haven't got mine yet, should be here in a day or three.

Does it get wild or is it generally polite?

Hi Andy
The clip above is just straight sounds to illustrate the Tele I made. I did it for a previous post.
I will record another one tomorrow with the Yin Yang. It gets up into full overdrive territory, not quite fuzz - so subjective all this really. I'm still working with it, we rehearsed last night and I found that it works well with the songs that need a medium driven sound and the Fuzz Head better for others. It has a very clear sonic footprint - nice.

http://www.kevinyates.com/music/index.html
Hi Andy
Here are some sounds through the Yin Yang drive - usual naff playing on this lot, good enough to get an idea of the sounds available.

DI'd through Edirol UA-3FX and straight into the Mac. I'm beginning to understand how it all works - the drive is straight forward never 'off' but will go from good just breaking to pretty full on overdrive. Tone is just that and can strip paint at the full setting. It seems to me that this is the real strength of this pedal, you can really create a good stretch of tones all have some bite and character, all have a good upper mid that cuts through.
Voice is the control that changes the timbre of the sound. To my ears it alters the way that the pedals frequencies are delivered. Typically I imagine a way of dialling in Marshall or fender type sounds at a basic level. My Rivera has this on separate channels - I had this amp for 6/7 years and still tend to stick with either dirty or clean!!

It cleans up with the guitar volume turned down and also by picking softly - not as much as the Fuzz Head but good enough, and I believe better than most. Overall I would say it's a keeper, but I have said that about quite few pedals - all of them went eventually including:
Maxon Tubescreamer - a bit processed
Tech 21 Comptortion - bizarre drive control
MXR 103 - vintage and modern - OK O/Drive without subtlety
Boss Blues Driver - Crauchan Audio mod - bland to bland
Award-Session JD10 - I still have this - good for light rehearsals straight into the mixer and as backup.

They all sound really good, especially since you're just going straight into the soundcard. I'm looking forward to it. :) Thanks for that.

Hi - I have played a bit more and it is now clear that the voice and treble control also affects the drive - increasing one increases the other - so these are dynamically connected. I guess that's why some have had trouble figuring out the Zendrive - by account, it shares this with the Yin Yang. Even more fun at home! Let me know how you get on.

Hi Kev,

It's more fun than gardening, that's fer sure. :)

I haven't spent much time with it but it's sounding good every time I do. I'm a bit lost with it all meantime since I've just put together a modest pedal board and the entirety of it all is frying my brain somewhat, heh.

More later.

Hi Did 1st gig last night with this, it was good but I need to spend a bit more time playing around at higher volumes as this pedal seems to alter character the harder the amp is driven. I really like the hard edge it has, a raw quality that is missing from a lot pf pedals. I have a Fuzz Head too and these two cover a lot of ground.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back