1980 LS-80 "Tres Hombres"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEX

Reaction score
As motivated by f5joe's post, I'll contribute these shots of my "Tres Hombres" (1980 LS-80 Les Paul Reborn, Reborn Old, and Love Rock, respectively). I've just "officially" joined y'all on the post but have been simply a voyeur for several years. I certainly appreciate the knowledge and entertainment you've provided during that time. So please, keep it coming! Here's to you fans of the LS-80:
DSC00658.jpg

DSC00664.jpg

great trio ;)
how can you compare those three guitars - feeling and sound? basically they should be the same guitars, am I correct?

Camparitively, the weights are as follows:

LP Reborn - 8.8 lb
Reborn Old - 9.0 lb
Love Rock - 9.2 lb

As you can see, the fretboard on the LP Reborn is quite a bit lighter in color. And I'll swear you can tell a difference between them (which I happily embrace-I'll chalk it up to personality). Although I've never measured the neck circumference(s), they seem to vary by feel (oh, so slightly). All still have their GOTO PAFs and will continue as such. And don't even think to ask me which to be my favorite (do you tell that sort of thing to your kids?).

Take care, fellas!

By the way, that Bassman dates out as a late '66, with some serious mojo to boot.

"Comparitively..."

Please excuse the typo. I'll blame it on Shiner Bock.

Yeah, all three are LS-80 models manufactured in 1980. True to form, the LP Reborn and Reborn Old have "80" imprinted on the fretboard, but the Love Rock does not. As "villager" had shared photos of his highly flamed LS-80 a bit ago, I'll note both of these Burst tops seemed to have just fallen short of an LS-100 status, in that neither are "plain tops." Actually, in the neck PU cavity of the LP Reborn, the "LS-80" stamp was hand corrected to 100 (this body almost got the call to the upper echelon).
DSC00035.jpg

But on both of these Bursts, the top half carries the bulk of the aesthetic fireworks.
DSC00009.jpg

Even the Reborn Old has some nice figuring.
DSC00275.jpg

Take care, fellas!

TEX ... what a beautiful harem you've got there ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congrats ... I love those old guitars being in an excellent condition.

But - I'm more jealous because of the wonderful looking Bassman ... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Roger

Thanks. That Bassman is a tone machine (and it'd sound a lot better with someone with some real skills)! That's a pawn shop find from many years ago, and its cab is a huge 2X15. Just playing at the house was highly infrequent, in that, to get that drive I was rattling windows and driving neighborhood cats out of the county. But now with an attenuator and smaller cab for that 50 Watt monster, I get to enjoy its warm company daily. I highly recommend that Blackface Bassman. Even in the inflated vintage amp market, you can find 'em for a pretty decent cost. Take care.

Back