love rocks relic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be a fixation with some people that older is always better which is simply not the case. In the late 60's I had a Strat that was absolute rubbish - poor string balance and action etc. yet today it would probably be worth serious money. But objectively it would be blown away by my sons Chinese affinity Strat both in playability and sound. I think its easy to get carried away with the 'vintage' or 'relic thing.
BobW

Bobw

Strat story sounds familiar. Did you buy it from Denmark Street?

You're dead right. There are plenty of vintage dogs out there. Then again I've had a strum on a few dodgy new ones too. It's a matter of shopping around I guess.

Then again, a lot of us have bought blind off ebay and travelled miles across London for something we've seen in the LOOT. If you've gotta have it you'll buy and sort the gremlins out later. If you don't like it, you?ll sell it on.

We've all done it haven't we?

loverockerUK said:
These guitars look mojo-less, and - of course - they are *never* going to get properly played. IMHO, that is far sadder :(

Again I'm in total agreement. The saddest sight I ever saw was a 59 'Burst behind a barrier in a dimly lit room of a Hard Rock Cafe. When you think what Jimmy Page etc are still doing with theirs... :cry:

What made it worse was that this one had seen some action - it knew what it felt like to be loved :(

bobw
strat story sounds familiar to me too! Back in the late 70's I had a '66 strat and it was a complete dog! I think this is why I'm very cynical about "vintage" guitars.For me vintage spec is enough as long as it is good quality, hell it doesn't have to be a tokai it could be a fender! :wink:

Of course another side of the story is that with modern technology and materials then there is every opportunity to produce improved instruments. the problem seems to be getting them accepted, I guess we are all somewhat traditional in our approach to this. Imagine the design of the Les Paul appearing for the first time now, would we all focus on the heavy weight and limited upper fret access? Yet we all seem to hanker after an 'original'
Bobw

Back