what do you guys think of this?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Punk

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Orville-Lespaul-Standard-Tabaco-sunburst-MIJ_W0QQitemZ110268419655QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it a fair price? it doesn't say if it's a 60 or 50's neck. Are the PUPS decent and I think it is an orville and not OMBG.

can you guys give me your opinions.

thanks

Don't think the body is maple like the description said. Also, the fretboard wood is pretty wierd looking - kind of spotty or tortoise shell in appearance (look at the photo just before the back of the headstock pics)

Cream body cavity covers and K serial number ....hmmmm.

I think it's a fair price, but you would probably pick up a nicer one for the same sort of money.

leadguitar_323 said:
Definitely mahogany body with maple top, It also has a separate neck heal.

Mick

is a separate neck heal not preferrable? why and how can you tell from the pictures?

I am trying to learn about what details should I look at.

Sir Punk said:
leadguitar_323 said:
Definitely mahogany body with maple top, It also has a separate neck heal.

Mick

is a separate neck heal not preferrable? why and how can you tell from the pictures?

I am trying to learn about what details should I look at.

See the pic below taken from the listing, I think you'll be able to tell. It's a cost saving thing, basically it means they can use a smaller piece of mahogony for the neck. Doesn't affect the sound of the guitar though, but it's not a desirable feature.

orville-lp-std-tb-010.jpg

ok that's awesome! thanks. is there a place where I can learn about all these little details?

It is indeed a orville rather that OBG they are bloody good guitars and well worth owning and for me the price is ok but then you have to add shipping and duty so it is pushing it over the top

Sir Punk said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Orville-Lespaul-Standard-Tabaco-sunburst-MIJ_W0QQitemZ110268419655QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it a fair price? it doesn't say if it's a 60 or 50's neck. Are the PUPS decent and I think it is an orville and not OMBG.

can you guys give me your opinions.

thanks
If it's in good shape..., that's not too bad of price. I love OBGs and have a "few" of them that I've been collecting for a number of years but I did get an "Orville" (just 'Orville' not OBG) from a guy in Japan several years ago. It was a tobacco-burst LPS kinda like the one you're looking at:

rkog01.JPG

rkog02.JPG

rkog03.JPG

rkog04.JPG

rkog11.JPG

rkog05.JPG

rkog06.JPG

rkog07.JPG

rkog08.JPG

rkog09.JPG

rkog10.JPG

It weighed about 8.5 lbs. Looks-wise and play-ability, it was a very nice guitar but sound and build-wise, materials and hardware you could tell it was a ways down from an OBG. I knew from the very first time I played it, I was going to sell it.

Like I said, that Orville was a very nice guitar and if I'd never had an OBG before, I probably would've kept it but there are very valid reasons why the OBGs cost more and they're a bargain at that compared with current U.S. Gibsons and especially ones from the same period.

BTW, I've never paid a dime's worth of duty on anything from Japan...., stuff coming from Europe's a different story.

thanks for those pics! and I understand that OBG can be recognized because it says so on the headstock. correct?

how are they comparable to tokai, greco and burny in terms of sound, sustain, warmth, low action?

are there OBG with slim 60 necks?

Uk duty is of course 17.5% of the value of the guitar but they also add the cost of the postage to the value and the courier will stick an over infalted admin charge on top
well it goes something like that anyway

In that case, it seems to depend where in the US you are! Some Americans report getting away with paying nothing, others seem to get hit more often. There seems to be some luck involved, at least in the US.

I am in minneapolis. I should update my profile :D

but anyway. how do OBG compare to tokai, greco and burny?

Sir Punk said:

Go on then update it :wink:

OBG's are consistently excellent Les Pauls, the best thing about them is they come in two types, 'Standard' and 'Reissue', the reissue has fret edge binding & USA pickups, apart from that they are the same.

Greco's and Burnys range from rubbish to amazing depending on which model you get, and there are 100's of models. To the less experienced it's hard to identify whats good and whats not without actually playing them, with OBG's this is not a problem.

Tokai's fall somewhere in the middle, even the low-end vintage stuff, eg LS50's are great guitars and there is wnough info out there to help identify what you are buying.

Sir Punk said:

I'm in Saint Paul 8) .......

IMO, there are Orville Les Pauls that have just as good, or better specs as far as lumber, than some OBG Lesters

Case in point: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180249162760&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=008

This example has a two piece/center seam body back, and is one of the nicest Orville examples I have had the pleasure to play, or to own.
I have seen many OBG examples with 3 piece body backs, which again is a spec. issue, which may or may not have any bearing on sound quality but a 2 piece is a higher spec., none the less.
This example also does not have the heel splice, as it is a true 1 piece neck.

IMO, If you look around, you can locate an Orville that will compete with & surpass many OBG examples.

This one was SOLD, yet the buyer fell thru on his end of the deal, then I listed it twice on evilBay, and it never sold.
I am glad that no one decided to buy my Orville gold top, because it is actually one of the best Les Pauls I own :D and I play it daily, while I have a Tokai LS320 (which cost many times more) that just sits in the case :eek:

NOTE: All of the Orvilles that I have owned have been the 6 digit serial, Fugi Gen examples. Great guitars.........

This Orville is not an OBG but it competes head's up against any Les Paul I own 8)
.................................................. 1995 Orville .......................................................... 1982 Greco ...................................................
goldtops.jpg

Latest posts

Back