Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Vibroverb 63 Re-issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick

Just to correct you on one point. Attenuators don't shorten the life of the valves, the valves last just as long as if you ran the amp without the attenuator at the same settings as you do with the attenuator.

It's just the fact that you have more opportunity to run your amp full-tilt.

The fact that powerscaling DOES extend the valve life, is a real bonus though, if you ran a 100W head at 25% you would probably get 10 years out a set of valves!! The sooner someone buys one of those powerscaling kits and lets us all know how easy it is to install the better
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nearly 15 years out of the original valves on my Blues Deluxe! Mind you, I was only gigging it for a couple of years out of the 15, so they didn't get a lot of use. The new valves made quite a difference though.
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link didn't bode well for fitting a power scaler... looks like a shedload of skilled work, and more than a couple of days worth. With drilling! Ewww...
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
That link didn't bode well for fitting a power scaler... looks like a shedload of skilled work, and more than a couple of days worth. With drilling! Ewww...

I think the kits are somewhat improved (and cheaper) now and don't require anywhere near the level of work that they used too. Still far from an easy DIY job and still a quite permenant fix to your amp. It's still something I would consider though, the idea of running your output valve cooler is a big plus, especially if you use expensive NOS valve.

One thing the link did show, to my ears at least, it that the Powerbrake sounds a lot closer to the original amp even at very high levels of attenuation, and the THD sounded awful!
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , you would have to have a reasonable understanding of the way an amp works to install it yourself. The new kits are very simple compared to the first ones,and if you know a good amp tech , it wouldn't take long at all to install.

Mick
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this about the original 63 Vibroverb:

The brown Vibroverb sounded & performed unlike any Fender amp before or after. Part of the secret was it's seemingly unique tone circuit. Matt Wilkens, an engineer at the modern Fender company, has noticed that the original Vibroverb's treble control was tapped, meaning, as he says "When you set the treble control to the tapped position, about 4, you get a flat treble response". Duplicating that tone with other Fender amps, like the later Vibrolux Reverb, was possible by manipulating the controls. Still, most Vibroverb owners argue that their amps posess a higher gain & more guts, the power to make weak pickups sound stronger.

I'm not sure I understand why that makes it different to other Fender amps. Could anyone explain it for me?
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looks like none of you understand that description either.

I've been playing it a bit more, & I think it might need a new set of valves. Despite what I said earlier, maybe it's about time I learned to replace valves for myself - is it just a question of removing the old ones and pushing the new ones in?

So where should I go to get the new valves? Preferably a UK based company. And what makes should I look for or avoid?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're going to go all 'vintage' and pay through the nose for some NOS valves I would go for JJ's they are excellent sounding and great value for money. NOS valves like Mullards DO make a difference though and putting 1 in to the V1 pre-amp position will make a difference, the rest of the pre-amp poitions won't make any-where near the difference so stick with JJ's.

Try http://www.watfordvalves.com for a good supplier in the UK

I don't know much about the vibroverb but I'm pretty sure it's cathode bias which means you don't need to re-bias, you just need to make sure you get matched output valves. Matched sets come in various grades from cold to hot, I would get something towards hot, this doesn't mean your amp will distort more, just sound better!

****UPDATE****

Just googled the vibroverb reissue and it's a fixed biad amp so wou will need to get it rebiased when you change the output valves. Job for a tech!
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Russian ones? Sovtek or something? Aren't they the in thing?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me JJ's are the ones to go for! see update above.
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand that - you mean that you need to re-bias it (whatever that means....) every time you change the valves? Even if you replace the valves with the same type as before?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you change the output valves (the big ones) you should rebias, the amp will work but won't sound it's best and the valve life could be shortened if you don't.

You can change the pre-amp valves without rebiasing.

It'll only cost you ?30 and means your amp will sound it's best!

This guy isn't far from you and looks like he knows his stuff, you can get your valves from him too!

http://www.stevesamps.co.uk
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
This guy isn't far from you

Well he's South of Watford, if that's what you call close! That's a long way John.

I have 2 good places I can take it to, but I was checking whether I needed to, or whether I could simply buy a new set of valves and bung them in myself. Sounds like I can't.

Oh well, never mind.
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I have one of these amps. I picked it up here in Oz last year for $425 (about ?250). A steal and in pretty good nick too. Of course if you want to get picky, the layout is on a circuit board and they lack the tube rectifier of the originals but generally I'm happy with the tone considering it was a pretty expensive amp when new I believe. Celestion 10's in there too. Was wondering what it would sound like with a pair of Weber "Blue Pups".

In fact, I use it for rehersals only and it does the job ok. In addition, I intend to use it on the "dust" gigs my band does. Any Aussie will tell you that doing gigs up bush plays havoc with the gear. The dust gets everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE!! Us Poms have no idea what a gig is until you've done a dust gig (Deni Ute Muster anyone?). The plus side is the gigs are normally an absolute HOOT!

Attenuators - Used to have a Scholtz Power Soak. noticed the amp started sounding shite after a while so I sold it. Haven't used any since. Know a guy who over used a THD with a Bogner Ecstacy and his Tranny blew. Be careful...I don't trust em.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?250? Now that's a bargain! Yeah I remember they weren't cheap when new in the early 90s.

Celestions? I though the speakers were Oxfords? These are what I have:

Can anyone identify what that is?

You're right, dust isn't a major problem in London!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: