Hottish pickups for a Les Paul Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Greetings all,

Barry...I like the new handle mate.

I want to reload my custom with some slightly hotter pickups than usual so I can drive my small amps just that little bit more without using a gain/overdrive pedal. I'm a big fan of the old PAF sound but these aren't doing the trick at the moment.

I'm looking for a pair of humbuckers that will give me a nice smooth PAF sound but just have that little bit more poke to drive the amp (15w no pre amp).

Now I'm not into anything shread or super distortion. Wanna keep the note definition good,

Can any of you guys recommend a nice pair :wink: ?

Thanks guys.

Well I'm getting impatient ...

So I guess that nobody makes anything like what I'm looking for then?

Perhaps I'll get a pair of PAF's custom wound by Andy at Kent Armstrong.

:eek: a solution :-?

Howdy!

What a bloody marvelous idea!

Just in case you were wondering this is for my 81' white Tokai custom. Presently it has a couple of double adjustable pole piece pickps in there. Dunno what they are but I don't like em. Also too lazy to take them out and have a look.

I will speak to Andy and investigate your theory or are you telling me you are doing rewinds now?

Actually you can get the push-push pots from Andy Pincott a lot cheaper than the Yamaha versions. (Sorry Mr. Y. Like the new R1 though).

Okay folks. Here is Andy's response to our question:

Lee,

What you're suggesting has already been done by several manufacturers.

We at Wizard actually make a pickup called the Quatery, effectively a Paf ish pickup complete, but over the top of the Paf coils we then wind with a finer guage wire.

Both sets of coils are presented with four core cable so coil tapping, cutting, phase and series parallel are all possible either individually or together. Its a monster, cost ?100 plus VAT.

You should be able to find somewhere between 9 and 11 separate and distinct voices from one pickup!

Andy
www.wizardpickupsltd.com

Well there you have it. As Andy points out, there are several other pickup manufacturers who are producing this type of pickup.

I'd want to hear it first.

Isn't that the whole deal with pickups. I know loads of guys who have bought replacement pickups and have decide they don't like them after a couple of weeks.

What we need is a pickup shop....hmmm.

Anyway, having deliberated over the weekend, I'm still unsure what the best option is.

Anyone know who else makes a similar product?

Anyone interested in DSP solution?

Had an idea for a small DSP that would fit in a normal guitar that would model different pick ups.

One guitar - loads of pickups - no grief!

Note: this is pick up modelling not guitar modelling (line6) - as such the basic tone of your instrument remains untouched.

just a thought :roll:

Back