Calling all experts!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riprorin

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about this guitar:

Head stock says Hondo II Professional - Made in Japan
Tuners have "Tokai" stamped on the back
Serial # is 0015551 which is stamped on the 4 bolt neck plate

It's a Tele copy, string through the body, wiith two pups. (Original pups have been replaced with American Fender Tele pups).

The body is three pieces, the neck appears to be maple, and the body is a light colored wood (the original paint was stripped off).

Any information about the date of manufacture, the manufacturers and the quality of this guitar would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Even WITHOUT pics I can safely tell you that you have a frankenmongrel. :eek:
It's NOT a Tokai but it sounds more likely that somebody has bought a few tokai parts off ebay.
It's even doubtful that it's an actual HondoII...pics please..**sigh...it sux to have to keep reminding people to post questions WITH pics** :roll:

It's my fist time (here), so be gentle! Someone suggested that it was a Tokai Ghost.

Here are some pics.

Thanks!

Frankenmongrel1.jpg

Frankenmongrel2.jpg

Frankenmongrel3.jpg

Frnakenmongrel4.jpg

Looks pretty decent...you'd have to remove the neck and look for a stamp...same for the pickup routes under the pickguard.

As far as I know Tokai did manufacture at least some of the "Hondo II Professional" range, it seems reasonable that some may have had Tokai stamped tuners. Oze, what makes you think it's a 'Frankenmongrel'? I'm sure it could just as easily be a Tokai made Hondo.

As for dates and stuff, I'm sure this has been discussed before, a search should show something up.

That serial plate looks very Tokai. Not that they're that unique to begin with, I know, but it certainly matches with the older Tokais I have (even the chunky screw heads)!

So if it's made by Tokai it's probably fairly decent quality?

Any idea what the value is?

The head stock is a little sifferent but otherwise it looks just like this Tokai Breezy Sound.

http://imageevent.com/chingo123/july2008/tokaibreezytelebutterscotch3358

If you look at the end of the neck and in the control cavity you'll probably find the typical Tokai codes (like 6=8 for example). Tokai made the Hondo Professional guitars so the quality should be excellent. That headstock was used for both the strat and tele model it seems. Also, it's the same headstock design that have been used on some Tokai models, for example the MAT strat.

Mike

Latest posts

Back