Fender Vibroverb 63 Re-issue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats where power scaling comes in Mike. Attenuators do the job but they are by no means ideal, the main thing being that they lessen the life of the tubes, and they don't keep the tone consistent, they are a compromise. Power scaling is relatively new and will be the way of the future, its already appearing on production model amps now. Check out the "Suhr Badger", its a brilliant little amp.

Mick

Mick - how do you mean they don't keep the tone consistent?

Power scaling is a new one on me, but if it's something that has to be built in, I guess I wouldn't get it on the retro sort of amps I like.

Powerscaling lowers the voltage the tubes run at so is definetley better as far as tube life goes. The disadvantage is that you need to have it installed in your amp by a competent tech and you can't move it between amps.

Soundwise, Powerscaling is supposed to retain the sound of your amp at lower volumes better than an attenuator, but that really depends on which attenuator you use. The THD Hot-plate definetely adds a 'fizz' that shouldn't be there, but the Marshall IMO sounds great. There is a really good comparison of Powerscaling, the THD and the Msrshall at the bottom of this page:

http://www.bruceclement.com/music/psk.htm

JohnA said:
Both powerscaling and an attenuator provide a knob to make your amp sound better! :wink:

I thought I was the knob who is supposed to make my amp sound better? :-?

Mick

Just to correct you on one point. Attenuators don't shorten the life of the valves, the valves last just as long as if you ran the amp without the attenuator at the same settings as you do with the attenuator.

It's just the fact that you have more opportunity to run your amp full-tilt.

The fact that powerscaling DOES extend the valve life, is a real bonus though, if you ran a 100W head at 25% you would probably get 10 years out a set of valves!! The sooner someone buys one of those powerscaling kits and lets us all know how easy it is to install the better :D

I got nearly 15 years out of the original valves on my Blues Deluxe! Mind you, I was only gigging it for a couple of years out of the 15, so they didn't get a lot of use. The new valves made quite a difference though. :p

That link didn't bode well for fitting a power scaler... looks like a shedload of skilled work, and more than a couple of days worth. With drilling! Ewww...

AlanN said:
That link didn't bode well for fitting a power scaler... looks like a shedload of skilled work, and more than a couple of days worth. With drilling! Ewww...

I think the kits are somewhat improved (and cheaper) now and don't require anywhere near the level of work that they used too. Still far from an easy DIY job and still a quite permenant fix to your amp. It's still something I would consider though, the idea of running your output valve cooler is a big plus, especially if you use expensive NOS valve.

One thing the link did show, to my ears at least, it that the Powerbrake sounds a lot closer to the original amp even at very high levels of attenuation, and the THD sounded awful!

Yes , you would have to have a reasonable understanding of the way an amp works to install it yourself. The new kits are very simple compared to the first ones,and if you know a good amp tech , it wouldn't take long at all to install.

Mick

I found this about the original 63 Vibroverb:

The brown Vibroverb sounded & performed unlike any Fender amp before or after. Part of the secret was it's seemingly unique tone circuit. Matt Wilkens, an engineer at the modern Fender company, has noticed that the original Vibroverb's treble control was tapped, meaning, as he says "When you set the treble control to the tapped position, about 4, you get a flat treble response". Duplicating that tone with other Fender amps, like the later Vibrolux Reverb, was possible by manipulating the controls. Still, most Vibroverb owners argue that their amps posess a higher gain & more guts, the power to make weak pickups sound stronger.

I'm not sure I understand why that makes it different to other Fender amps. Could anyone explain it for me?

OK, looks like none of you understand that description either. :lol:

I've been playing it a bit more, & I think it might need a new set of valves. Despite what I said earlier, maybe it's about time I learned to replace valves for myself - is it just a question of removing the old ones and pushing the new ones in?

So where should I go to get the new valves? Preferably a UK based company. And what makes should I look for or avoid?

Unless you're going to go all 'vintage' and pay through the nose for some NOS valves I would go for JJ's they are excellent sounding and great value for money. NOS valves like Mullards DO make a difference though and putting 1 in to the V1 pre-amp position will make a difference, the rest of the pre-amp poitions won't make any-where near the difference so stick with JJ's.

Try http://www.watfordvalves.com for a good supplier in the UK

I don't know much about the vibroverb but I'm pretty sure it's cathode bias which means you don't need to re-bias, you just need to make sure you get matched output valves. Matched sets come in various grades from cold to hot, I would get something towards hot, this doesn't mean your amp will distort more, just sound better!

****UPDATE****

Just googled the vibroverb reissue and it's a fixed biad amp so wou will need to get it rebiased when you change the output valves. Job for a tech!

Back