Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Vibroverb 63 Re-issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Fender Vibroverb 63 Re-issue Reply with quote

I just picked up an early 90s Vibroverb:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330244042784&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

I've only really played my Blues Deluxe for the last 15 years - I have one or two guitars but only the one amp, till now. I don't count the Blues Junior. So it feels strange playing something new. I'm surprised how different it sounds. I'm missing the mid control, I tend to turn it all the way up on my BD, so the new one sounds a bit hollow in the middle, if that makes any sense?

I need to try it at rehearsal to see what it really sounds like, but I wondered if anyone else had one? Any tips on how to get the best out of it?

Mike
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a vibroverb, but a tip that seems to work with most good valve amps, turn it up
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have an adjustable bias??

If so, go to the tubestore.com and buy the following

Tung sol re issue 5881 power tubes.. buy a matched pair rated at 20 or 21(their number rating system)...

then buy the tung sol 12ax7's and tung sol 12at7's to replace the ones you have in there.

Check the plate voltage with your "bias rite" bias meter..(get one if you dont have one.)

then set your bias in those 25 watt tubes to about 65ma to 70ma(thats about 60% dissapation)..(that is if your plate current is near 450 or so.

that amp will sound super sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Mike ... great score, I guess ... !!!

Swapping the tubes often is the cheapest way to influence a sound positively with a surprising result ...
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what adjustable bias is, & I have no intention of touching anything inside it. My knowledge of amps is minimal! I need to try it out at rehearsal to see what it really sounds like. If it needs a service & re-valve, I'll get my local tech to do it for me. If I do it, I'll probably get it all wrong.

The sound is already growing on me, even though it's quite different to the Blues Deluxe. It's the only amp I've played since I got it.

The original tubes on my BD lasted 15 years! I was told by the seller that this one had new valves quite recently.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read upon mods for your amp Mike, there are some cheap and easy mods that can give your amp awesome tone. Its all a bit overwhelming at first but it can be very worthwhile.

Mick
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're assuming it doesn't have awesome tone already Mick! I haven't had a chance to find out yet.
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
My knowledge of amps is minimal!

So - reading about different opinions and mods could change your status ...
I've learned alot about my DRRI visiting the appropriate sites ...
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind messing with pickups on a Strat or a Tele. But mains voltage? No thanks! Too much chance of me messing it up! I'll get my tech to make any changes - after the fret jobs he's done for me on a few guitars, I trust him.
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vibroverb doesn't have adjustable bias. But cranked this baby will sound sweet. Get a HotPlate or Weber mass so you can crank it without going deaf or over running the drums and bass.
Porsche 911 Racing
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression, from playing it at home, that it isn't as loud as the BD. So it should hit mild overdrive at gig volumes when the BD didn't.
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
I don't mind messing with pickups on a Strat or a Tele. But mains voltage? No thanks! Too much chance of me messing it up! I'll get my tech to make any changes - after the fret jobs he's done for me on a few guitars, I trust him.

Tinkering with tubes can be as addictive as tinkering with caps or pots ... believe me ...
... and if you take that your amp isn't connected when swapping the tubes it isn't dangerous at all ...
Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger , you are spot on!!! its addictive.. And fairly easy to learn the basics..
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the option to get a master volume control fitted to increase flexibility (if I can work out where to put it!), but I wouldn't want to do that until I'm sure it's a keeper. Until then, I'm using two different overdrive pedals - one for mild crunch, the other for greater gain.

Still over a week till the next rehearsal....
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, as you know I'm more of a Marshall man, but the concepts are the same. If the amp's sweet-spot is turned up to 7 (or whatever) fitting a MV won't help. 90% of the sound of a good old valve amp comes from the power-stage, fitting a MV means that most of your tone will come from the pre-amp, it might sound good, but it certainly wont sound the same.

The marshall powerbrake is the best thing I ever bought, it means my JTM45 still sounds like a JTM45 at lowish volumes. Other alternatives are a hot-plate (personally don't like them) a Weber Mass, or getting powerscaling fitted.

Running your amp 'hot' like this means you can do a lot more with just the controls on your guitar rather than use pedals, it's a much more satisfiying approach, and sounds better too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: