I will do a stop over in Japan.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon Rust

Reaction score
Hello there,
as my subject says, i am going to Japan.

Now, this is a big chance for me to get to see Tokai gakki's factory. I will try to get there in time for a visit and eventually buy a guitar.

None of you probably will be able to help me with this, but i am interested in two different guitars.

One is the Cat's Eye CEV180, the second one is the famous ES120. I might decide there, while i am trying them, but..........before i actually see them, could you tell me what do you think about them and..........if it is better to go to Guitar Universe and get a better discount?

Cause i think they are more expensive at he factory and there is no discount.

Thanks everyone,
regards,
FR

ps: otherwise, i won't buy anything and wait till someone will post a decent review of them. :)

Hi Falcon,I picked up an ES120 on ebay a few weeks ago and it is excellent. I paid ?650 for it and there is not a mark on it!!!! :D This was the first guitar I've bought on ebay so if I can pick up a bargain anyone can!!! :wink: I've played a few G*b*o*n's and not only is it just as good but better than the majority of them!!!

Prince Bishop

here in Japan we get only 20% off list price. I`d wager thats what you`ll get at Universe, thats what all the shops here give. When you overseas guys buy from Universe ... do you get more than 20% off?
According to my catalogs the 120 model is no longer offered. If you find one it may be NOS.
Aren`t Cats eyes acoustics?

I don't know about the discounts....and how much they are, but if you buy from a factory, you do not get a better discount that from a shop.

And yes, Cat's Eyes are acoustic.

Noone, know about the as much as i would like to. I mean about the new ones.

And also, every body says............old Tokais are better than the new ones in general.

well I have a 1984 Tokai strat that I really like. As for old vs new.... I think the top of the line series would be hard to beat ... then or now. In recent times, many, if not all, of the low end guitars I have seen are MIK, and thats fine, but I prefer buying an MIJ, even if thats means older models... except the 320 series... new or old would be fine for me. Guess you`ll be in Tokyo?

just saw the 200 series listed on the Universe web site so I assume it is still being made.

Back