Tokai PRS copies

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironickel

Reaction score
Has anyone tried them?
Since there are no dealers in my country the only way to get them is from ebay...any help appreciated.

James

I'll write a review in a few days...when I get mine. I'm going to compare it to an actual PRS...side by side.... One of my close friends happens to be the #1 PRS dealer in the country and we are going to compare the two.
Should be interesting.

Wow Guitar Cellar, I'm looking forward to the results of your comparison! :)

By the way, are the PRS-copies only Korean-made or are there Japanese versions as well?

I was in at Mike's Music the other day and saw the Korean ones. They look really nice and felt very good. The only thing that caught me was that the top looked a bit like a 'photo-flame' (is that the way they're making them?).

I will be comparing the Korean models. Tokai also makes the Japnese model....though I'm afraid they are in a much higher price range.

the top of the prs-a-likes doesnt look atall like a photo, look at something like a dillion and you'll see a bad looking photo top, the tokai's have real maple tops.

tokai.jpg

I took one of our TOKAI NLP-40's to one of top selling PRS stores in the USA , so the owner & I could compare the two models. I'm not that familiar with PRS except for the fact that they are beautiful, expensive & well made. The closest PRS model to the TOKAI was the McCarty model:
gt_mcrw.jpg

Our comparison model was a KOREAN madeTOKAI NLP-40 was a "Tigers Eye" maple:(on the Bottom)
PRS1_small.jpg

Fit & finish on a 2500.00 PRS guitar is what you expect...stunning! Bob (the PRS dealer) & I were very pleased & impressed with the fit & finish of the TOKAI as well. The Tokai's fit & finish were exceptional..even down to the bird inlays.
prs5.jpg

prs3_small.jpg

prs4_small.jpg

prs7.jpg

We plugged them into an Orange amp stack and traded licks for about 10 minutes or so and we were equally impressed with the meaty sound. I think if the Tokai had a better set of strings on it....it would have completed the sound.
Honestly....If I had 2500.00 to blow......I'd get the PRS because it is one well made instrument (not knocking the Tokai by any means) but if I wanted the look & sound and still be able to pay the bills without worry and without the wife getting mad & the kid going without braces....I'd definately recommend the tokai for a quarter of the price. It is at least a bridge to the real thing adn its depreciation is much less. I'd like to think of the Tokai version much like the Japanese fenders/Tokai Fenders or the Love Rocks to the Les Pauls. The tokai is a contender...especially with the current U.S. job market these days.

You can see the obvious finish differences and the thicker bridge on the PRS as compared to the Tokai. According to Bob....the blue finish is very very rare in PRS's.

PRS:
mcbm-2.jpg

AND A TOKAI:
tprs1.jpg

An interesting contribution.

I always thought PRS stood for Poncey Rich Suckers. :wink:

Does anyone know what different models and finishes the Tokai has for their PRS copies?

I have seen the black Tremonti model, and it was pretty well done, for a Korean copy...

Back