Orville '59 Les Paul ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffsGuitarWorld

Reaction score
Ok... I have been thinking about an Orville... but....This seller has no additional pictures.... What do you think... :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260249398799&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Best,... Cliff

Photoflame top, not in great condition and IMO expensive for an Orville as oppose to an Orville by Gibson

I've noticed a trend lately on ebay and other forums of people pricing the regular Orville as high as the OBG.

I read somewhere the only difference is the pick ups and hardware, the bodies for the Orvilles or OBG's come from the same factory and same spec's?

Thanks for the info Villager... which OBG have the solid tops and are not veneer? and or how can you tell? also how would you rate them against a Greco Super Real EGF 1200 and above?

villager said:
plaintops are solid flametops are 99% laminate..

can't compare..its subjective..

Well be subjective :wink:

IMO a good OBG plays, feels and sounds like a very good newish Les Paul, the Greco's, even a Super Real 850, have a bit of magic that's missing from the OBG's. I'd happlily gig with either, but to me the Greco's have the edge.

villager said:
what i mean is it depends on the guitar....

OK compare the best OBG you ever played with the best Greco, and an average OBG with an average Greco of similar value like an EGF850??

You've probably played more examples than anyone on the forum so your opinion is valued :D

best greco beats the best ObG (3 x the price tho)

but some ObG's are as good as some greco 1000's but not many are as good as 1200's but again price difference..

average ObG is similar to average greco 850..

only the ObG reissues have the fatter greco superreal type necks..

average ObG reissue specs are better than same price greco, but not a huge sound difference..

I am talking about ObG reissues here as i prefer them to normal ObG's for the neck size..

but again ..as i always say ''better'' is my subjective opinion, lots of people may prefer ObG's to greco's...

Not all Orville by Gibson have fat necks,I had a '92 ES-335 with a slimmer than '59 style neck,good guitar,nearly a 60.

Back