Valve combo

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh, but your just a cleverdick. :wink:

More seriuosly what is it that you are using - a power attenuator?

Dave

DaveWW said:

Dave

It's a Marshall Powerbrake attenuator, allows you to drive the output stage of the amp, but keep the volume level reasonable.

JohnA said:
For home practice on an evening I use a JTM-45 and a 4x12 cab :D

I thought it was just that everyone else had moved out of Middlesbrough, so there's nobody left to complain. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnA said:
DaveWW said:

Dave

It's a Marshall Powerbrake attenuator, allows you to drive the output stage of the amp, but keep the volume level reasonable.

I might have to look at something like that but they cost more than my amp!

Dave

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
For home practice on an evening I use a JTM-45 and a 4x12 cab :D

I thought it was just that everyone else had moved out of Middlesbrough, so there's nobody left to complain. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have to take this abuse :wink: True though :D

DaveWW said:
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnA said:
DaveWW said:

Dave

I might have to look at something like that but they cost more than my amp!

Dave, is this for your Fender champ? If so one of these is what you want:

http://www.cornwallelectronics.co.uk/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1536&category_id=cf510a3e48d76435911fbb5f3899fcc5

It's pretty much the same as a powerbrake but with less power handing, It will handle the power of the JTM45, for about 30 minutes before it packs-up, people running 18 watt Marshalls swear by them! It definetely sounds every bit as good as the Marshall Powerbrake at a fraction of the price.

If you get one I'll send you details on wiring it up.

Dave

Maybe you have already found your amp.

A simple amp that sounds great is the Fender Pro Jr w EL-84s.

Nice cleans, but wonderful bluesy OD when turned up. Even classic rock.

Can be improved with a Weber Blue Pup speaker and JJ tubes.

With the substitutions, the harmonics come thru beautifully and the OD is superb enough to mate with a larger cab and take one to the next level.

Sorry if weber is not world wide.

One of the Laney VC series will get you closae to the sound you're after. The VC15 sounds great with the Jensen 10" speaker and 'cos of its low power you can wind it up high to really get the output tubes working. Plenty of volume for a jam night or small pub gigs (I've done loads of gigs with mine and I've never had any trouble being heard) and you can pick one up for a little over ?200, which leaves you enough money to get an 808 Reissue Tubescreamer.
If you need more clean headroom or if you really think 15 Watts ain't enough, you can go for one of the VC30 range. Still well within your budget and an equally great sound....or do what I do and use two VC15s.

stratman323 said:
bruceboomstick said:
I'd suggest a Fender Blues Junior - I put my LS70F through one and it does instant "Still Got the Blues"

Ah, that must be why I've never been very impressed with the sound of my Blues Junior! :lol:
So for the newbs, what don't you like about Gary Moores' tone? Let her rip

Back