My New Springy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beppe1266 said:
I also have a ST60 from 1981. I'm quite sure that one also has nitro.

I'm afraid I find that hard to believe. I know Japanese guitars don't stick to many rules, but I think we have established quite clearly on the forum that ST80s and above are nitro, and ST60s and below are poly. ST70s seem to be a bit of an unknown quantity. :eek:

I WANT to believe you about the finish on your ST60, as I'm selling my 1980/81 ST60:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11025

and I know I would get another ?200 or so if buyers believed that it was nitro. But, to be honest, I don't believe it is - it feels different to my ST80 (which is nitro). That is the only reason I'm selling it - it looks better than my ST80 (nicer ash grain, period-correct 3 tone Sunburst, compared to 2 tone on the ST80), even the decal on the ST60 looks better applied! But I prefer the feel of the nitro on the neck of the ST80.

Have a look at villager's website. He sells high end Springys only, ST60 and above. He has always described 60s as poly, and 80s as nitro, and he must have handled more Springys than most of us. He charges a fair bit less for a 60 than an 80 - why? Because the only difference between a 60 and an 80 is that the 80 has nitro. OK, we have established that he is an honest and reputable seller, but he's also a good businessman. If he could charge more for an ST60, he would make more profit.... He could claim that a 60 was nitro and most people would believe him. But he doesn't.

That suggests to me that ST60s are poly. Which is a shame, from my point of view.

We must be careful on here not to misinform people.

I'm with you Stratman..
I can of course be wrong. But, could it be that the body on ST60's have nitro? The body paint on my ST60 is so thin, and it has quite different gloss than my other guitars with poly. The "relic"-process is also quite different from poly guitars I have..
I'll try to take some pictures to show you.

Mine has "E" pickups by the way.

My ST60 also has a thin finish and E pickups. If anything, it's a slightly better guitar than my ST80 - certainly it's equal in quality - but I'm pretty sure it's not nitro. Remember that there are several different versions of "poly" - polyester, polyurathane etc. They're not all the same.

If a Springy had a nitro body and a poly neck, I would assume that it wasn't original. One or the other part has probably been changed - which is a pretty easy job to do on a Strat.

Not necessarily Mike, I was talking to a guy in Japan yesterday and he asked a Tokai employee {this is not my regular source} while i was talking to him , and he said that my ST-70 could quite possibly be nitro boddied but the necks they used on that model were poly and i agree as the body has a completely different finish to the neck. Just another mystery to add to the mix.. :wink:

Mick

Latest posts

Back