What happened to all the Epiphone Japan guitars..?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schocker

Reaction score
It occurred to me the other day when I was browsing eBay that a couple of years ago there'd always be an Epiphone Japan 335 on there. I haven't seen one for auction there or on Yahoo Japan, Digimart, etc, for ages. I know that they're being collected but you normally get things surfacing now and again even taking this into account. Ah well... :-?

yeah this came up last year around the time Gibson announced Yamano would no longer be their Japanese importer, they sell directly to stores now...and the local shops had the MIJ Epis at huge discounts...50-60% off...there still are a few, I got a 2006 SG made in the FujuGen factory for about $350.oo, love it by the way. So I`m not really sure what happened, I thought Gibson had something up their sleeve but so far, nothing. I see some on the web over here but not very many MIJs. The local Rock Inn is full of MIK Epis and MIC Tokais, they seem to have either overpriced MIAs or cheap Asian mades, very little in between, I`d have to go to Tokyo for a better selection and that adds $200.oo to the cost of a guitar.

They still seem to be going. I have no idea how wide the distribution is in Japan or the current export sitiuation. http://www.gibson.com/jp%2Djp/Divisions/Epiphone/Elitist/

Back