Burny vs. tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzem

Reaction score
Burny LP owners have you compared or own(ed) a tokai and found shhh the burny is just as good? Or better? I am not talking just the top of the line models.
P1010002.jpg
[/img]

One thing I would say is it's easier to buy a good Tokai, the model number is easier to identify with an old Tokai simply because there is more info out there on them.

I have never played a bad Tokai LS80 (or higher) and my LS80 is better than any Burny I've played, I have however played a few duff Burnys.

That's not to say there aren't great Burnys out there, there are, I've played a few; but if you want a superb guitar and are buying blind, IMO go for a Tokai.

It depends.

I Think new japanese Tokais are better than new korean/cinese Burnys. But i think korean/chines Burnys of today are better than the korean Tokais.

I think early 80s burnys FLG/RLG are at least equal to early 80 Tokais LS, but cheaper to get nowadays.

Cee Yah
B.

I've owned & played Burny & Tokai guitars, namely RLG, RLC, LS, etc. but other models too

as far as the Les Paul style models go, I have owned from RLG50, LS50, on up the grade line to LS-320

I still prefer my RLGs to my LS-320 :evil: ......................................

Any idea how to tell what model the one above is? It's (I think) an 88' or 89' from the low script and TRC. Solid top, short tenon.

If you notice, Tokai, Burny, and Greco have stood the test of time. All are worthy, some more than others. Ford is better than Chevy to some. I prefer Toyota to anything. All are good. Ownership ultimately is "subjective" for many reasons.

:D

leadguitar_323 said:
Barburny, if you think Chinese burny's are better than MIJ Tokai's you have no idea what your talking about.... :eek:

Mick
well I got a long list of guitars MIJ MIk MIC and a couple or three of those usa made ones bugger the name escapes me so I must have some idea and im not blinded by what other people think or tell me

I don't care who owns the most guitars, and i'm not trying to blindly lead you up the garden path, but i'll stick to what i said, chinese burny's are no where near as well made or the materials are nowhere near as good as the MIJ Tokai's. The chinese Burny's might be great value for money but thats about it. I'm not saying that they are terrible guitars, just not as good as the Mij Tokai's.

Mick

As I?ve told several times I prefer Tokai but I can understand other prefer Burnys. I don?t like chinese guitars as I noticed,they could be good for the money asked(if under 300 euro) but only use I can see on them is for luthier practices(set-ups,etc...). A frined of mine has got a Burny FLG-60 similar to a Tokai Reborn and it?s a very good guitar I like it a lot,he bought it under my recomendation.

Yesterday, I was playing my LS-320 and maybe I was very lucky with this particular guitar, but I felt great when playing it and I haven?t found a Les Paul guitar to match it until now, and I do know Tokai is able to make it.

Yeah, I've owned some great Burny's and Greco's that far surpassed the Tokais I have owned. Tokai is the Ford of Japan.

Whatever one's individual delights and personal nuances and fancies are, early 80's FLG and RLG MIJ Burnys currently represent by far the best value in the market.

As I already wrote somewhere else, I had the chance to try, together with a friend of mine, my '81 FLG-90, a '80 LS-80 and a '81 EGF-1200.
Trying to be neutral, the EGF has the best sound due the pickups and has the thicker neck, a '58 or '59, mine (the FLG-90 is the more resonant and has the longer sustain and, unfortunately for me, has the thinner neck. The LS-80 is the worse, even though it's not the right word. It's also the heavier.
We compared them with a Historic '58 Les Paul and they have the "sign of the times" wich made them better than Les Paul.
But, as always, you can find a same Greco, Burny or Tokai model being a little different in sizes, sound, and so on.
So, I'm quite sure I'd change mine, or also my friend's EGF, only for a real '59 Les Paul. Otherwise there's no reason to get another one.
8)

As I've said before I've yet to play a really great Burny, I'm sure there are some, and I've certainly played good very ones! I have 2 Great tokais and one very good one, I've also played great Grecos, and some not so great.

The very nature of guitar building, especially when you are talking about not absolute top of the range guitars, means there will be variations from guitar to guitar and some will be better than others.

In my experience there are more great LS80's than Burny FLG-90's, I'm sure someone else will have different views simply becasue they have been lucky enough to find a few great Burnys and a few duff Tokais.

To get a morre valid answer to the question we would need the input of someone who has played loads of both. Villager where are you :wink:

One thing is for certain, they are both manufacturers of some excellent guitars.

Latest posts

Back