tone adjustments for springy owners

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarccoco

Reaction score
I played the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee this weekend and found at live volume(gig volume as opposed to in the house volume.), on my Fender Super Reverb, tuning the treble down to 3 or 4(!!!!!),produced a great tone!!

I know that my springys are bright to begin with , and playing them at live volume(5 or 6 on my super reverb) only increases the brightness. It still sounds good, but by turning down the treble to 3 or 4 sure produced a fabulous tone. Turning down the tone knob at regular settings did not produce the good tone i'm refering too.

It sounded definately like the Anson/Jimmy tone.. Wow it was great.. Too bad I found this out on the last day of playing three days!!!! :(

I would suggest to all springy players to try to turn the treble down, especially on tube amps...See what you come up with... :D

Ok, I admit I did turn up to 7 on the last few songs.....but only because the other guitar player did first!! :D

It's interesting that you didn't get the same sort of tone by backing off the guitar's tone control - I assume you are using the standard .047 ceramic cap? I change my Strats to a .022 cap, and wire the middle tone as master tone, and I find that tweaking the tone knob around 4, 5 or 6 produces some good results. .022s don't seem to suck out the upper mids as much as the standard caps do, they just roll off the top, which is what I usually want.

Which of your fleet of Springys were you using? And which pickup settings do you tend to use?

Mike

Mike,

The tone knobs seem to change the whole tone curve to include mid range and bass, where adjusting the treble only effects the treble strings the most primarily, yet leaves the mid range and bass alone on the rest of the strings.

I used the St 80 and Blondie(100) for the gigs. My new St 100 sunburst is too clean to take out on a gig. :D

Yeah, that's the trouble with a .047 (or even worse .1) cap. With a .022, it only seems to reduce the treble. Which means I can run the tone set at about 5, but turn it up to 10 for the odd number that needs a brighter sound.

You do have a good point about the Treble setting on the amp though. Does a Super have a Presence control? I don't think I've ever tried a Super - don't see many for sale either.

villager said:
also strange (some say magical) things happen at higher volumes..

If you play loud enough for long enough you can't hear the high frequencies any more :D

Everything sure opens up at a higher volume on the old fender amps.. They never get Too loud to where its gona cause damage though :D most ole fender amps are only 40-60 watts

During the gigs, I couldnt decide what girl to dance with, my ST 80 from Mark, or ST100 from Koiz!!

I played them equally as much!!! Both are great ole strats!! Thanks Mark!!!!!!!! Thanks Koiz!!!!!!!! :D

My ST80 sounded good last night - those Texas Specials have really given the tone extra body. 8) 8) 8)

They do in the Springy, they didn't in my 88 Fender - strange. :eek: They are great for fattening up the tone of a bright sounding guitar, which the Springy is, but the Fender isn't. If I was just playing straight blues (T.Bird stuff) I think the Es would be fine.

Actually I thought about what you had said when I was at Friday's gig, & I used the middle pickup more than I usually would. I even used the Springy for the last couple of numbers when the Tele went a bit out of tune, & it had something very interesting about it's sound. I never know how to describe the sound of pickups, but I seem to have a winning combination there.

And you are all quite right about what volume does to the way a valve amp responds - it seems a bit like magic to me. :lol:

Cool! glad you like the middle pup... I have a hard time getting away from it sometimes..

I found a good store to buy tubes and capacitors ect...

http://thetubestore.com/ :D

Back