335 modles

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone give me some more info on the 335 Tokai copies?

Are they really as good as the originals? Same/different feedback issues?

What are the differences in the models?

Any information anyone has would be most appreciated, as info is pretty hard to come by on the net.

Cheers.
justin

I have a Tokai ES-100 made a year or so back and it is far better than any other 335-type guitar I've played, including Gibsons and the Heritage 535 models.

As someone who finds it hard to resist semi-acoustics, my advice to you is just buy one, if that's the sort of guitar that you like. The necks are great, the pick-ups top notch, the finish nothing less than you'd expect...I could go on but the point is that these are great guitars.

And they cost half what you'd pay for an inferior rival brand beast!

www.machinehead.co.uk or www.regentguitars.co.uk for more...

THat's great thanks,

I was thinking along the same lines actually, and it did sound good in the shop...

Have you ever gigged with the guitar? I'd expect that since it is the same/superior in most senses to the originals/other copies, then it is a totally giggable geetar?

Anything you can do on another 335-type guitar, you can do on the Tokai but you'll probably have more fun in the executuion of the act... All guitar designs have their traits but I find semis to be extremely versatile in terms of sound and they suit me from a comfort point of view.

I've never suffered from unwanted feedback problems with it and I would say that a decently set-up ES would be eminently more giggable than most other similar options. If you liked it in the shop and it clicked with you, then I can't imagine you'd have any reason to be disappointed with it later on. They are great instruments!

I tried out an new ES-100 recently - one of the finest guitars i've ever played - they had an idential Gibson in the shop for comparison and it was sweet too but it was ?600 more - the Tokai was overpriced at ?799 too and way out of my weekly guitar budget - I could cry/rob a bank sometimes.

if you ever get a chance to try a Yamaha SA-2200 you should. I like mine so much I got rid of the Gibson Chet Tennessean I had.
The Yamaha is
a superb guitar, even though I am far from that as a player. Hope to bring out it`s full potential some day.

Schocker said:
Phantom, which shop was the ES-100 in for ?799?

Sorry for late reply - missed this one - the shop in Birmingham used to be called Musical Exchange - on Snow Hill?

Related to this does anyone know if the 335 type models are mostly Korean and Japanese models being scarcer.

How do you tell if it is japanese or korean?

I was told in the shop that the difference between the Es100 and ES120 compared to other 335s of tokais (which were around ?300-400) were that the ES ones were japanese.

Is this true? and how would one tell the difference?

Hey

Check out this ES-120 (if you haven't been drooling over it already) - eeeyoww!

http://www.songbirdmusic.com/torasp/odetail.asp?id=7343

That's a beauty!

Does anybody know though where one can get hold of a hardshell case? mine didn't come with one :cry:

Also has anyone had any dealings with Tokai UK? They are a disgraceful company! Truly dispicable, not at all in the ethos with the product.

I bought an ES-60 from Andy's on Denmark Street in London a couple of months ago for ?300. Cherry red 335, the shop assistant told me it wouldn't sell because everyone would be after the Jap model (this is Korean). Now, I've had Epiphone 335's and DeArmond Starfires, both Korean, and I thought that this Tokai was a mistake - good hardware, fantastic playability (probably the set-up from Andy's) and the most unbelievable pickups for a guitar of this price. i got a set of Seymour Duncan's while in New York recently for my Love Rock, but this 335 smokes it. In fact, and yes I'm a little drunk, this guitar would be the one I would keep out of all my Tokai's/Greco's/Burny's if push came to shove -japanese/vintage/1980's or not. it's the one that sounds the best, plays the best out of all these older vintage guitars. if you see an ES-60, snap it up before the Jap's realise how good these Korean guitars are and stop them being made. I promise you, you will not be disappointed

Hi, I am greatly agreet to everyone on this forum.

Tokai ES335 is a GEM! I mean it! I was one of the lucky man and was able to get 81's ES150J for ?300!!!! Of course it was in Japan but it is absolutely amazing.

First of all, I was stunned with maple top and back, bloody birds eyes everywhere!!! And it is on both top and back!! I was lost my mind at this point. Second later, I realise it is one piece top and back!!! I actually owns Gibb ES330 but TES-150J has much much better materials. (although they are different types...)

Second, neck!!! *ucking hell, it is one piece mahogany absolutely great feel, from the instance of handling, you can tell it is carefully shaped by hands, not factory machines. I felt like my hand have gravity to the neck and could not leave to play for hours and hours...

This is a real vibe, I hope I can get picture on this forum soon, but first, I need to revive internet connection to my computer and need to know how to get picture on this site... Anyone's help is welcome.

I just got a Hamer Echotone, Korean made and it's a gem also. I compared it to my bro-inlaws Tokai he just got. There both top notch, the Echotone input jack is down under which I like better. Sometimes it pays to be poor!

Took your advice and looked at these Hamer Echotones. Found a guy on the net giving them away !

http://www.paysonsecure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=music&Product_Code=1150&Category_Code=

I ordered one....no charge. I have a shipping number and I am hoping to see it soon.

Also free shipping !!

Free is good ! :D :D :D

Back