• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB - White 3-ply scratchplate/pickguard for Goldstar TST40

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_dice

Reaction score
Hi all. New to this forum but a long-time (since 1986!) owner of lovely Cream/rosewood Goldstar of 84/85 vintage. Just scored a black/maple 1984 (I hope!) TST40 from Fleabay but someone (probably not the previous owner) has butchered the scratchplate trying to get to the truss-rod screw. Would love to find an original Tokai white three-ply scratchplate to begin the resto of this guitar. PM or email me if you have anything suitable and we can haggle; I am in the UK and can pay via paypal. Cheers.

Not having much luck with this :cry: . Lots of US scratchplates about, but the screwhole positions are different and ideally I don't want to make any new holes in the body.

In the absence of a Tokai original plate, can anyone recommend a brand or model to look out for where the holes would line up? Cheers. David

It seems like Tokai used different pickguards on the AST/TST-40 models. They were not exact replicas of any model year like the "50" and better models. If you look at my AST-40 Tokai used a pickguard with the screws placed like they were on the late 50's/early 60's Fender strats:

tokai_strat.jpg

The Fender '62 reissue strats have the same pickguard:

V138949-seabody.gif

This is an american vintage '62 ri strat.

The only difference should be the screw between the neck and middle pickup, the position of that screw was changed sometime in 1963. Most Goldstar Sound strats are '64 replicas and then the screw is placed nearer the middle pickup, like this:

IMG_6697.JPG

A Fender replacement pickguard should fit if you choose the correct model or maybe Allparts, they make really good pickguards.

Mike

Mike,

Quite correct about the screw holes, most people don't realise that Tokai RW board models are 64 copies, whilst most Fenders are 62 copies. Nice guitars you have there - what are the pickups on the white one? They look like Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks?

It's the red one I'm really interested in though. It looks very like my Fender, with knocks and wear. I'd love to see some more pics of that, if you have any? :p

stratman323 said:
Mike,

Quite correct about the screw holes, most people don't realise that Tokai RW board models are 64 copies, whilst most Fenders are 62 copies. Nice guitars you have there - what are the pickups on the white one? They look like Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks?

It's the red one I'm really interested in though. It looks very like my Fender, with knocks and wear. I'd love to see some more pics of that, if you have any? :p

The white one is my AST-40 and the pickups are hot stacks and a little '59. The other strats are not mine, I just did a search to be able to show the difference regarding the screw positions. The red one is a master built relic, you'll find it on this site:

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/INVENTORY.asp#fendercustomshop

This on the other hand is my metallic red Goldstar TST-50 with TST-60 '54 V-neck. It used to be a '64 replica but the neck was warped and had to be replaced. I had bought the TST-60 neck earlier so I transformed the guitar into a '54 replica. The pickguard is an Allparts single ply 50's type and the rest of the plastic parts are also Allparts (slightly aged look called parchment) :

st50_6.jpg

It also has a lot of dings and dents even if it doesn't show in the picture, it's a really nice guitar.

Mike

Ah, a Master Built relic - they go for silly money! I assumed it was a Goldstar, and I was curious how a poly finished guitar could age quite like that.

I'm trying out a Hot Stack in the bridge position on a Strat, & I'm not sure if I like it or not. I've never seen them used in the neck or middle positions though. Clearly they work for you though? Metallic Red is a gorgeous colour. 8)

stratman323 said:
I'm trying out a Hot Stack in the bridge position on a Strat, & I'm not sure if I like it or not. I've never seen them used in the neck or middle positions though. Clearly they work for you though? Metallic Red is a gorgeous colour. 8)

The hot stacks are excellent in the neck/mid positions but a little weak in the bridge position (there are two versions - neck/mid and bridge). I have a bridge hot stack also but replaced it with the little '59. And yes, the metallic red is a great colour!

Mike

Thanks for all the input on this :D

Just had another look at both guitars and it looks like the 40 has the later style of plate (the screw between the middle and neck pickup is nearer to the middle pickup) rather than the '62 reissue' style, so a replacement should be easy to get.

black_goldstar-1.jpg

The cream one does seem to have the '62 style though

white_goldstar.jpg

Thanks again. David

Latest posts

Back